CHAPTER - 9

CAMERON

New day, new week, same shit.

I groaned and rolled over in bed as the blaring sound of my alarm jolted me awake. With a heavy sigh, I reached out to silence the incessant beeping. It felt like Groundhog Day, repeating the same cycle day in and day out.

I jumped out of my bed and dragged my feet to the bathroom. The bright morning light pierced through the windows, causing me to squint as I splashed cold water on my face. I stared at my reflection in the mirror, frustration etched in my tired eyes. It seemed like every day followed the same pattern - wake up, go to college, attend practice, attend classes, go home, repeat.

Desperately craving a change, I darted through my morning rituals, brushing my teeth hastily and styling my unruly hair. I quickly threw on jeans and a plain T-shirt, not bothering to search through my closet for a better outfit. After all, who would notice anyway? Grabbing my backpack, I made my way to the kitchen. "Just some toast will do." I murmured to myself. I grabbed two slices of toast and spread thin layer of Jam on them before bolting out the door.

I hopped into my car and started driving to college. The traffic was as heavy as always, and the same songs played on the radio. I arrived a little late at the college than my usual time. I strolled through the campus gates, just as I reached the entrance, my eyes caught sight of my friend Oliver leaning against a pillar, texting his fingers off.

"Yo, Cam, what's up?" Oliver greeted me, looking up from his screen.

"Hey, Oliver." I replied, joining him by the pillar. "Basketball practice got canceled. Coach is sick. He'll be back on Monday."

Oliver let out a sigh. "Man, that sucks." Almost immediately we started brainstorming alternative plans for the evening.

"Hey guys!" My other friend Ethan appeared out of nowhere, with his usual mischievous grin. "What's the buzz." Ethan asked, slapping my back playfully.

"Practice got cancelled. Coach's sick." I repeated.

Ethan tilted his head, eyeing me curiously. "Well, that's a bummer."

While we were talking, I noticed Elle walking inside the campus alongside her brother. My heart must have skipped more than a few beat, and I found myself staring, unable to look away. She looked as beautiful as ever. Liam waved goodbye and disappeared into the crowd, leaving her standing at the gate. Seizing the opportunity, I started to make my way towards her, but then something inside me held me back.

Oliver playfully nudged me. "Cam can't stop staring at his girl."

"Don't worry Cam, there are still chances she might reject you and save herself." Ethan smirked mischievously.

I rolled my eyes and chose not to respond to any of the above. Swallowing hard, I attempted to shake off the feeling and refocused my attention on our conversation. The bell chimed, signaling the start of another grueling day. I trudged into my classroom and settled into my usual seat at the back, next to Nathan. He was one of the few people I truly cared about. The back row used to be our sanctuary, along with Jeremy. But now, Jeremy's seat remained empty, a constant reminder of his absence.

Jeremy was always the adventurous one, pushing us to let loose and have some fun. Unfortunately, he had to leave college after his father's passing, taking on the responsibility of the family business. The irony.

"Hey, Cam, do you have a pen or something?" Nathan interrupted my thoughts.

"Nah!"

My head was resting on the desk, yearning for a change from my mundane routine. "What's up, Coach kicking your ass too hard?" Nathan teased. I lifted my head and leaned back in my chair, a tornado of thoughts racing through my mind. "Everything okay with you and your dad?" Nathan asked, concern evident in his voice. I sighed inwardly, feeling a surge of irritation at the mention of my father. Avoiding eye contact, I tried to brush off his concern. "Same old stuff you know, nothing new."

Normally, dads are the ones who are the most supportive when it comes to sports. But my dad is different. Lately, he hasn't been very supportive of my basketball. Instead, he keeps pushing me towards the corporate world - a nine to five job, dealing with a boss who's a pain in the ass, waiting in lines for a paycheck. I think jobs are modern-day slavery.

There was a time when we were really close. We use to play basketball together in the parks, teaming up against mom. Sure, we had our disagreements, but we always managed to work things out. However, he now views basketball as a frivolous distraction from more important things in my life. But to me, basketball is more than just a game. It's my mom's wish to see me play basketball at the national level.

"So, are going to Cole's party this Friday?"

I looked up, momentarily pulled out of my thoughts. Taking a moment to collect my thoughts, I replied. "Yeah, why not? It could be the much-needed break from everything."

"