Chapter 5

Chapter 5 -

"Ven , I swear these people are out of their fucking minds! They are sending teenagers into battle for Christ's Sake! What sick minded people do that?" Scott says as he stares up at the dull grey ceiling. Eli is laying on the other side of my bed as I sit on the dresser with my knees to my chest.

After the meeting , Scott and Eli followed me back to my room to talk about what's all happened. Our world has been turned upside down in a matter of hours. First , we were separated from our families. Now we are being forced into battle , a battle that we probably won't walk away from unscathed or alive.

"I know Scottie. Maybe we could escape back home? Like when we are being shipped out west , we could get 'lost' and go home." I look at them hopeful. Scott and Eli look between one another before Scott sighs speaking up.

"And go home to what Ven? Our parents aren't there anymore. Even if they were , we would get shipped right back here like cattle. There's nowhere to go anymore. We're stuck here and we have to follow Daniel's orders. As much as I hate to say it , it's true." He runs his fingers through his dark brown hair. He looks on the brink of losing it. His eyes have dark circles under them and his face looks sunken in. Those warm brown eyes I used to know are now dull and gloomy.

Eli's bright blonde hair even looks dull now as well as his eyes. His eyes used to sparkle with enthusiasm only now do they glint with anger and exhaustion.

I take a look in the mirror only to see the bright cheery girl stolen away to be replaced with a ghost of her former self. My green eyes don't light up anymore and I haven't smiled in God knows how long.

"Yeah your right Scott." , I say glancing at the clock that reads 5:45 pm. Dinner is at 6:00 , but I honestly have no appetite right now for anything.

Eli's eyes focus in on the clock as he sighs and gets up off the bed. He goes to the mirror hanging on the wall and fixes his hair slightly before speaking up.

"It's nearly dinner. I'm going down to eat then I'm going to bed. I guess I'll see you guys in the morning." He half smiles as he walks out. I sigh and Scott sits up as well.

"You coming down for dinner?" He asks with a bit if concern.

"No , I'm not hungry. I think I'm going to catch up on some sleep though. Big day ahead of us tomorrow." I half smile as he nods and gets up.

"If you need anything you know where to find Eli and I." He gives a half smile back before pulling me into a hug. I wrap my arms around him tightly.

"Thanks Scottie." I smile a bit as he releases me and ruffles my already messy hair.

"No problem Vennie." He teases with my old nickname from when we were kids.

I laugh and playfully kick him out of my room. Shutting the door , I close my eyes leaning back on the door as all the events from today play in fast motion.

I can't go into battle. Who am I kidding. I put on this strong face like I can conquer the world when in reality , I'm scared to death. I can't go into battle , because if I do , I'm as good as dead.

I bite back tears as I start thinking if what Parker would think of me right now. Cowering in my room like a scared eight year old. The one statement that he's always repeated to me since I was old enough to understand words , plays over and over in my head.

"You're at your strongest when you feel the urge to quit or cower down Vendetta. Push those feelings away and stand tall because your Vendetta Summers. A Summers NEVER gives up." I repeat silently to myself.