Chapter 8: So it begins

"Is there something on your mind right now, Ayanokoji-kun?"

I looked to see it was my classmate and co-worker, Nishikawa who was tilting her head. We were both behind the cash register.

"No, it's nothing."

"I don't think it's nothing to me. You've been kind of quiet today, even at school this morning. Yomiuri-senpai is also getting worried. You would have said something from her teasing, but you stayed silent. If you need someone to talk to, I'll try my best to help." Her tone carried with concern.

"Thanks for worrying, but it's not a big deal. I just got involve in something that I'm not good at. To be more precise, something I have no experience with, but I think I can manage. I just have to think on what to do."

"Is that why you've been kind of quiet than usual?"

"I'm normally quiet," I responded.

"Yes, but it seems like you're really thinking hard about something right now. Anyone can see it just by looking at you."

"Is it that obvious?"

She shook her head, "I don't mean it literally. You still got your poker face, but it's just the feeling that gives it away."

"I see."

------------------

Flashback

Hinagata is asking me for love advice? Me?

I'm last person that she should ever ask for love advice. In fact, she shouldn't be considering me to ask for love advice. I'm pretty sure she has other friends she can go to and ask for love advice. They're likely to be more knowledgeable about it than me.

"I don't think I can help you, Hinagata. I have no experience with such things, whatsoever. I think it would have been better if you asked anyone else but me. They would have a better chance of helping you and knowing what they're talking about."

"But... you're the only one that can help me for this one, Ayanokoji-kun! What you said was true, I could always asked someone else who has experience, but in this case, you're the only one that's suited for this."

I'm the only one that's suited for it?

"First, I want to know. Since you're asking for advice, do you need it because you like someone or someone asked you out and you don't know what to do?"

Considering she said I was the only one suited for this case, I doubt it's the latter. If it was, then she could have asked anyone and not me. Additionally, if she was asked out, I don't think she would ask for help. I heard Hinagata was asked out a few times before in junior high from Ayahi, but she rejected them with no problems at all. Confirmation is always good though.

"It's... the first one," She responded shyly.

"So Hinagata likes someone and I'm the only person that can help you with this? Is that correct?" She nodded.

"The only thing I could say is just confess how you feel towards that person. If you don't, you might live a life full of regrets in the future."

"But, I'm scared that I'll get rejected and things will get... awkward you know." She dejectedly said while looking at me.

"From my perspective, it's better to get rejected than not ever asking. It will hurt at first, but overtime, you'll be able to move on and not live a life of regret. I'd rather get rejected and feel down for a bit than live a life of with a regret and living every single day full of anguish in the future for not telling how I feel."