We're Okay II

It's been a fortnight since your argument with Margot, and you regret everything. You regret slamming your ring on the kitchen counter and walking away.

You've been staying at a hotel for the past two weeks, not wanting to tell anyone you knew about the possibility of a divorce. It was foolish, it still is. All this fuss over Margot being late because of her job?

You sighed as you told the receptionist you'd be extending your stay another week. She looked at you weirdly, but obliged.

You smiled and thanked her before walking back up to your suite on the top floor.

That night, you received another text from Margot, one of the tens of hundreds she'd been sending you the past fourteen days.

Come back home, Y/N, please, I don't want to lose you. I love you with all my heart. I fucked up bad, I know that. I swear I'll change. I'll do anything to make it up to you, Y/N. Please come back home. Please. I miss you.

You left her on read, not trusting yourself to reply without calling her up and begging for her forgiveness.

Your phone dinged with another notification.

Okay. If you don't want to reply to me, that's okay. I know you're about to go to sleep right now, so good night, I love you. I miss you.

You felt a pang of guilt as you read Margot's messages. The sincerity in her words tugged at your heartstrings. Despite the hurt and frustration, you found yourself longing for the comfort of your shared home.

You locked your phone and turned out the lights, deciding to sleep on it and hoping you had a clearer head in the morning.

Unfortunately, you didn't.

This routine continued on for another two days, until one night, at 3 AM, there was a knock on your door.

You paused the TV. You'd been binging everything Margot was in. You were sure you'd probably seen every single one of her movies or franchises about a million times already.

To your surprise, as you opened the door, Margot stood there. Her attire consisted of your sweatpants, your hoodie, your slippers, and your ring, looped through the necklace she was wearing.

Her hair was disheveled, her eyes were red and puffy and there were tears stains on her cheeks.

"Y/N, please," she said, her voice desperate.

Tears began to pour down her face, and her hand went up to her necklace, fidgeting with your ring.

"Please," she whimpered, her plea echoing through the silent hallway.

You hesitated, staring, caught off-guard by her sudden visit. You took in her appearance, feeling a pang of guilt.

"Please forgive me," she pleaded. "I can't — I can't live without you, Y/N. I can't e-eat, I can't sleep, I can't get out of bed, I can't —"

You cut her off gently, "Margot, it's the middle of the night."

She swallowed and nodded, her hand never leaving your ring. "I know. I know that. I-I just wanted, um, n-needed you to know I'm sorry. I can't live without you," she repeated.

A beat passed before you softly said, "Come in." You stepped aside to let her in.

She hesitantly crossed the threshold. You shut the door behind her.

"Sit," you said, gesturing to the king-sized bed in the middle of the room.

She sat down.

You stood there another moment, allowing all this to sink in. She looked more fragile, clutching your ring, the sleeves of your hoodie hanging off of her other hand.

Despite a part of you telling you to do the rational thing and talk about how she hurt you and how her not prioritising your marriage was not only hurting you, but hurting your relationship as well, you sat down beside her and asked, "Have you eaten?"

She nodded her head.

"Really?"

A beat passed before she slowly shook her head.

"When was the last time you ate something?"

Silence hung in the air for a moment until she answered, "A week ago."

Concern and frustration bubbled up within you, and you sighed.

"Margot, our relationship can't be the sole source of your well-being. You have basic needs that need to be met."

Still clutching your ring, she avoided eye contact and whispered, "I couldn't do anything without you."

You felt a knot tighten in your chest, realising the extent of Margot's emotional dependency on you. Gently, you reached for her hand, trying to convey both care and concern.

"Margot, I want us to work through this, but it can't be at the expense of your own well-being. You're an individual with needs and desires beyond our relationship."

"I don't think I can take care of myself until I'm certain we'll be okay, which I don't think we'll ever be. Ever again."

You ran your thumb over her knuckles, trying to offer some comfort. "Margot, the foundation of a healthy relationship is built on two individuals who are whole on their own. We need to address the issues between us, but you also need to prioritize yourself. Let's start with small steps, like eating and getting some rest."

Margot nodded, but her eyes reflected a deep uncertainty. "I just... I can't lose you."

"You won't, Margot. We'll talk about this," you admitted, squeezing her hand gently. "But we can't lose sight of ourselves in the process. I care about you, Margot, and I want you to be okay."

She didn't answer, so you spoke up again. "Let's start by getting you something to eat."

Again, she didn't answer, but she nodded, swallowing.

You ordered room service and encouraged Margot to eat while you quietly sat together, still at the foot of the bed. The atmosphere was heavy with unspoken emotions, but you both found solace in the other.

After over a half hour of the clutter of silverware, you were surprised to find that Margot had barely made a dent in her food.

Concerned, you gently asked, "Margot, is everything okay? You need to eat."

She looked down at her plate, pushing the food around absentmindedly. "I... I can't. I can't."

You sighed, realising the toll this had on her. Guilt washed over you despite you knowing you were in the right. You shouldn't've walked out that night.

You took the plate from her, setting it precariously on the bedside table.

"Margot, eating is crucial to staying healthy, you know this. How about you try and take a few more bites, and then we can rest?"

The mention of 'we' in your sentence made a wave of relief wash over Margot. This meant you wouldn't kick her out.

She forced down a few more bites before you set the plate on the table and covered it with the room service lid.

"That's good enough for now," you said. "Come on, Margot, we both need rest."

She knew you wouldn't kick her out, and, not wanting to go too far, she mumbled, "I'll take the couch."

You couldn't object because she was lying down on it before you could speak.

You said a soft good night and turned out the lights.

You tossed and turned in bed for over an hour, still unused to the cold feeling of not having Margot's arms around you. Little did you know, this was happening for Margot as well.

You heard her crying before she fell asleep.

Still unable to sleep, you decided to go over to her and lay down right beside her.

It was a tight squeeze, but who cares?

You wrapped an arm around her waist and breathed in her scent, allowing yourself to drift off to sleep with her warmth.