eleven. it comes and goes in waves

Start from the beginning

CHEERS ERUPT FROM the people crowding the sand as I finish up my surf and head back to the shore. I spot Belly standing with Steven, Mom, and Laurel, and I grin at her. She smiles back, clapping for me and sending me a thumbs up.

My heart races in my chest as I start to head in her direction. Her smile makes me feel light-headed and dizzy, like I've just stepped off of a boat onto land after hours on the water. God, I love her.

As I approach them, the announcer calls the next name at the same time I pass by the person they called.

Autumn shoots me a lopsided smile, patting my arm.

"Little lousy on the last turn, Fisher. Watch and learn how it's done."

With that, she flips her hair over her shoulder dramatically and confidently strides over to the booth.

"Woah, are you smiling like that because of Rose?"

I startle, not even noticing Steven come up from behind me. He gently punches my upper arm, wiggling his eyebrows in the direction Autumn just went. I smack his hand away.

"What are you talking about?" I snap.

He smirks lazily. "Oh, nothing. Just the huge ass smile on your face as you stare longingly at Autumn."

I scoff immediately. "I do not stare longingly at her. How many romance novels have you read?"

He taps his chin in thought before shrugging. "Too many."

I roll my eyes and ignore him, instead walking back to where everyone else is standing.

"Admit it, Fisher. She makes you weak in the knees."

"What are you? Eighty-nine? Who the fuck talks like that?"

"Stop changing the subject!"

"No, because this subject is fucking bullshit and a waste of time to discuss."

He starts to interject, but then we reach Belly and Laurel and Mom. Mom pulls me in for a hug, pressing her lips to the top of my head.

"My sweet boy," she says, still hugging me to her. "You were so amazing."

I let out an embarrassed laugh, relaxing in her hold. "Thanks, Mom."

"I'm proud of you."

My cheeks warm. "It's just surfing."

She shakes her head, her hand cupping my cheek. "It's not just surfing, Jere. It's more than that."

I smile and then she pulls away and Laurel gives me a hug, rubbing my back.

"You looked great out there, Jere."

"Thanks, Laurel."

When she steps back, Belly moves forward to jump into my arms. My heart roars in my chest as I wrap my arms around her. I wonder if she can hear it. She pulls away and grins at me, patting my chest.

"That was so awesome!" she exclaims, and I find her excitement contagious.

It is so insanely hard not to just lean in and tell her exactly how I feel about her. But I can't.

"It was nothing," I insist.

"Give yourself some credit, Jere. You were seriously amazing."

I bite back a grin. "Thanks, Bells."

Someone clears their throat and I turn my head to find Steven sending me a sharp glare. I look away, pretending not to notice.

"Rose is about to go on," he says, his voice only slightly tinged with warning.