five. you're so gorgeous

I ALMOST LAUGH at the way Rey is glaring at the television screen as if it murdered his entire family, but I just barely manage to contain myself.

Vanessa is giggling in the corner as she sits on Noah's lap with her arms wrapped around his neck and his around her waist. They're in their own little world, and I know for certain that Rey is despising every single second of this.

I get confirmation when he abruptly stands and heads toward the kitchen without a word. Vanessa watches him leave, a sad look on her face. Her eyes meet mine. I send her a comforting nod before I leave Ivy, the Maine Coon snuggling up to me, and get up to follow Rey.

He's angrily searching the fridge for something before he slams the door shut and goes to retrieve a glass from the cupboards.

I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Rey."

His body is tense and his fists are clenched. He takes a few deep breaths before turning around. Immediately, I'm on guard because his eyes are glossed over.

"It hurts, Rosie," he whispers.

He shuts his eyes, furiously running his hands through his hair and further messing it up.

"What hurts?" I ask quietly, even though I already know the answer.

He opens his eyes only to look at the floor. His expression softens with a sadness I'm not used to seeing in my older brother.

"It hurts seeing her with him," he says so softly I have to lean closer to hear him. "It hurts how he's the one who gets to be with her in a way I never will. It...it hurts because it took me too long to figure it out, and now it's too late."

My heart aches for him. I know how it feels to love someone who has feelings for someone else, and I hate that Rey has to feel that way. He's such an incredible person and he deserves someone just as incredible.

I don't say anything. I just wrap my arms around his shoulders and pat his back soothingly. His chin lands on the top of my head as he lets out a sigh.

"Fuck, this is so embarrassing."

I pinch his side. "Shut up. It's not embarrassing."

He pulls away slightly to look at me. "It is, Rose. How am I supposed to tell my sister that I'm in love with her best friend? Especially like this. When she's happy with someone else."

I send him a pointed look. "Reiner, I've known you've had feelings for her for a long ass time."

His eyes widen. "What the fuck? How? I only just realized it."

I smile, rolling my eyes. "Hey, it's not your fault you're slow."

He narrows his eyes but lets a small smile slip.

"Was it really that obvious?"

"To me, yes. To her, no."

He lets out a breath of relief. "Thank God."

I pat his shoulder and then frown. "Rey, I know it hurts, but Van hates that you don't like Noah. Despite what she says, she values your opinion, and even though she doesn't admit it, she wants you to accept him."

His shoulders sag. "I know. I've been a dick."

"At least you're aware."

He scoffs, ruffling my hair. I laugh, pushing him away.

Sobering, I tell him, "It might not be too late, you know. I mean, I know that she's with someone else, but you never know what might happen. Just don't convince yourself it's never going to work out so soon."