Chapter 1

Who doesn't love summer? A break from school or work, baking in the sun to get that perfect tan, sleeping in until noon, warm weather all the time, trips to the beach or the lake or the pool. It's the best time of year. And for me, it only meant one thing. The boys.

For as long as I could remember, me and my family packed up into the car and headed to the lake to Bloomington, Michigan, and the boys were always waiting. Quinn, Jack, and Luke, my summer boys. Our moms had been best friends for a million years (their quote, not mine.) and we spent every summer with them on the lake. It was the four boys and me, what could go wrong? 

So much.

The Hughes boys were my very best friends. They were summer to me, even if I did get to see them occasionally during the school year to catch a hockey game since they were God's gift to the ice, and they found time in their schedules to come see one of Mason's basketball or my field hockey games. We were family, and that was that. But four boys versus one girl can get tough, so I am forever grateful for the fact that my best friend from school Hadley Connors had a house in Bloomington too. It was only a short bike ride away, and even though they're not there all summer, Hadley hangs out with me everyday she can. 

The summer before senior year and here we were, back in the car making the same drive we'd done millions of times. Mason had taken the wheel for his shift and I rotated to the passenger seat, giving me full control of the aux cord. I was blasting "Welcome to New York" by Taylor Swift at full volume, blessing my mom and brother's ears with my beautiful singing voice.

"IT'S A NEW SOUNDTRACK, I COULD DANCE TO THIS BEEEEEAT, FOREVERMORE!" I belted out the open window, the wind catching in my blonde hair. "THE LIGHTS ARE SO BRIGHT, BUT THEY NEVER BLIND MEEEEEE!" I felt a hard and repetitive swat on my leg. "What are you doing?" I yelled over the music to see my brother hitting me with one hand, maintaining his grip on the steering wheel with the other.

"Trying to find the fucking mute button!" He screamed back, fighting with Miss Swift to be the dominant voice in the car.

"Mason! Ten and two!" My mom teased from the backseat, sticking her tongue out at him. "I paid a lot of money for Emma's voice lessons. As you were." 

Mom's favorite, what can I say? 

I flashed a devilish wink at my brother and continued to sing along to the 1989 tracklist, all the way until we got to the gas station for a snack break. I was pondering whether I wanted M&M's or cheese curls, and decided to call Hadley for a status update. 

"Hey! ETA?" The voice of my best friend filled up my ears, making me smile.

"We're about a half hour out, stopped for sustenance. How's life back in normal people land?" I replied, scanning the shelves as I waited for snack inspiration to strike. 

"It's blah. I mean, I'm going to Brad Haven's tonight because you know, what else is there to do? I wish we left as early as you guys do. My parents insist on waiting two weeks to 'beat the rush.' Like, what? I want to be on the lake already!" She whined, making me laugh.

"I will never understand Joe's logic. It's quiet now, no renters yet. And I miss you." I grinned into the phone. 

"So are you excited?" She asked.

"For? The lake? Yes, I am quite excited Hadley." I said confusedly.

"Don't be stupid, Emma. We both know you're practically foaming at the mouth to see Quinn." 

"Hadley!" I yelped, ducking behind another shelf to hide myself from my brother and mom. She laughed maniacally on the other line.

"You know I'm right! You always are! You've been totally in love with him since we were like, 9. This summer you have to do something." Hadley said, and she was right.