Chapter 38: Madeline

Bắt đầu từ đầu

Her heart began hammering in her chest. She didn't want to see them. She also didn't want them coming into the flat and meeting her mom. Larisa had made it painstakingly clear she wanted nothing to do with her soul mates.

Madeline's soul mates looked nervous in front of Larisa. The hands were tucked behind their backs and they tried to plaster polite expressions on their faces.

"Sorry for intruding so late, Miss Jones," Jin apologized sincerely. "We want to talk to Madeline."

Even though Madeline couldn't see her mother's face, she could picture it. She knew without a doubt there would be some sort of disgust or contempt. She wouldn't even hide it.

"It's quite late," She commented, dryly.

Hobi scratched the back of his neck, "Yes, unfortunately, it's urgent."

Madeline watched her mom tilt her head to the side. She wondered how her mom must be feeling at the moment. She had made it perfectly clear she didn't want to hear or see anything when it came to soul mates.

Larisa sighed through her teeth, showing her annoyance, and shuffled to the side. Madeline's eyes widened at her mother's action. She expected her mom to forbid them from entering. Why was she letting them in the flat?

"She's in her room. Don't make too much noise," Larisa murmured as they quickly passed her. Madeline figured they were rushing in just in case her mom changed her mind.

"Yes, ma'am. Thank you," Yoongi said in response.

Madeline's mom walked away without saying another word. She closed her bedroom door softly behind her. Realizing her soul mates might be able to spot her, she quickly and quietly shut her door and tip-toed towards her bed. She knew it would only be a matter of moments before they found her.

She sat on her small and uncomfortable desk chair and collected her breath. Not a moment later, there was a soft knock on the door. She knew there was no escaping. She couldn't keep running away. She had to face these issues with confidence. She couldn't keep these thoughts to herself any longer.

"Come in," She quietly ordered, glancing over her shoulder to watch her tense and nervous soul mates enter the room. Their brown orbs examined the room subtly, drinking every part that made it hers.

When they were done, their gazes pinned her down. She felt her heart hammer in her chest, beating so quickly it felt like it would break.

"Madeline," Hobi breathed, his relief evident. "We're sorry for intruding but none of us could wait. We have to talk."

She nodded her head, bringing her knees to her chest. The position was awkward since she barely had any room on the chair but she needed to hold herself. It was her protection.

"I figured," She mumbled. "You can sit on my bed if you want."

Her small single bed wasn't the comfiest, but it would make this talk feel less awkward.

They all sat on her bed, their legs brushing against each other. Nobody uttered a word. They were just as afraid about speaking.

Yoongi, who held her gaze, spoke first. "What's happening has been a big mistake. Our company is working around the clock to resolve the issue. I'm so sorry this is happening."

She stared down at her fingernails—struggling to hold eye contact with Yoongi.

"I messed up," Jin suddenly blurted out, his tone laced with devastation and self-loathing. "I thought I had made it clear to Mi-rae that we would never long-term. I should have been more careful."