Chapter 27 - Coda

After a long day of rehearsals for an MSG television special, Gaga walked into the lobby of her Sebastian Studios building looking fresh as when the day started, ready for a quick change of clothes and a night out wherever. I was half a step behind looking otherwise, even though I hadn't done anything strenuous, and was looking forward to just getting upstairs where I'd pretty much settled in.

As for where the others had landed, Doc Granith, who I'd squared away the fetus issue with, had moved in with Agnes Marselli at her place. Ms. McG for the moment was bunking with Curly Sasso. Most of the girls were paying their way at the motel Gaga had set them up at (and guaranteed the rent for), so the refugees from the fire were surviving OK.

Detective Lieutenant Dempsey, after being buried with full honors and awarded the Police Combat Cross, also got a posthumous promotion to Captain.

Police Commissioner Sherner announced he was resigning his post here, and would be moving to Washington with his wife, Doris, to become the new Director of the CIA.

My own life had stabilized, more or less, with Gaga getting me back into the urban art hustle, me putting my tags on canvases to sell, her making sure there was enough going on in general to keep things interesting.

She was about to step into the elevator when the concierge called over to her. He held up an envelope and said it had been delivered for the both of us. We looked at each other and shrugged.

She took the envelope and opened it and pulled out a note. I looked over her shoulder and we read what was handwritten in those block letters we'd both seen before.

We'll meet again.

The note had today's date on it and a sketched skull at the bottom. 

"So he didn't drown," Gaga said.

"I guess not."

She folded the note back into the envelope and we rode the elevator upstairs.

My sincerest thanks for your reads and support. The screenplay version has just been finished and will be presented to the powers that be. I will keep you posted on developments. Thank you again for joining me on this adventure. Please keep in touch.