Chapter 26 - Interment

The hearse carrying Detective Mark Dempsey's casket north on upper Broadway was escorted by two lines of N.Y.P.D. officers on motorcycles. Three police helicopters flew in formation above the cortege as it turned into Trinity Cemetery at One-Hundred and Fifty-Third Street. Bagpipers at the burial site played a mournful dirge as the hearse approached, making its way through the rows of tombstones, some of them moss-covered and dating back centuries, to the freshly dug grave.

Dempsey's obituary in this morning's New York Times gave the cause of death as a heart attack, the after-effect of a stabbing he received in the line of duty. (An article later in the week would mention the irony of his having been buried almost within shouting distance of the underground lair that belonged to the serial killer who stabbed him. Police said the lair was discovered by a young man whose name was not given.)

City and police officials and fellow detectives watched solemnly as six white-gloved officers in dark blue uniforms carried the casket on their shoulders from the hearse to the grave, the coffin draped with the N.Y.P.D. flag of green stripes and blue and white stars.

The department priest gave the benediction, and Dempsey's older brother gave a short eulogy in a low voice that was difficult to hear. Then Commissioner Stuart Sherner came forward and faced the gathering. He drew a somber breath, and in a clear but comforting voice, spoke of the citation he was holding.

"One of New York's highest honors, the Police Combat Cross, has been awarded posthumously to Detective Lieutenant Mark Dempsey, for valor while engaged in action against an enemy of this great city and its people." Sherner went on to recount some of Dempsey's achievements during his rise through the ranks, from patrolman to homicide detective to special assistant to the commissioner, and concluded on a personal note. "Detective Dempsey gave this city a career of courage and inspiring leadership. I know his fellow officers will miss his comradeship and the example he set in carrying out his duties. For myself, I shall very much miss him as a valued associate and friend."

The honoree had been a bachelor, and so it was to Dempsey's young niece that Sherner then turned.

"Accepting the honor for her uncle on this solemn but proud day is Miss Sarah Michelle Dempsey."

Fourteen-year-old Sarah Dempsey, daughter of the brother who gave the eulogy, stepped up and stood at attention.

Sherner gently draped the beribboned Combat Cross around Sarah's neck. He stepped back and saluted the tear-stained young lady in black, then turned and stood shoulder-to-shoulder with her, the two facing the casket.

The pallbearer sergeant called out, "Present arms!"

The six pallbearers gave the casket a white-gloved salute. A young patrolman raised his trumpet and began to play Taps. Sherner put his hand on Sarah's shoulder as her uncle's casket was slowly lowered into the ground.

The N.Y.P.D. flag had been removed and folded into the traditional triangle. As the last note of Taps faded, the pallbearer sergeant presented the flag to Sarah and gave her a crisp salute.

There was a moment of silence – and then Sherner touched Sarah's shoulder, turning her toward the gravel path that led to the black department SUV that had brought her and her family to the ceremony.

The department and government people stood respectfully aside as Sarah and her family made their way to the car. Doris Sherner came over and stood with her husband.

"That was nicely done," she said.

"Thank you. He had his good moments."

"He had your balls in his fist."