"Does anyone know anything more about why she passed out?" I asked.

"No. Dylan said she just stared at their friend Ashton, then just dropped to the floor," the principal said.

"And you're certain she didn't have a seizure?" Brendon asked. 

"Dylan didn't say anything about a seizure. He just said Samantha dropped like a ton of bricks and they couldn't rouse her."

We got to the nurse's office and went inside.

"You're Samantha's guardians?" She asked as we came in. I nodded. "Okay. She's just over here. She's awake, but she hasn't said anything to me since."

"Okay. Can we check in on her?" I asked.

"Of course," the nurse said. We went around the divider around the cot at the back of the room, giving Samantha some privacy. She was curled up on her side, with a grey wool blanket covering her.

"Hey, Sam," I said, sitting down on the cot beside her. "What's going on, sweetie?" I moved some hair behind her ear. She looked up at me, and then at Brendon, and burst into tears.

"Hey," Brendon said, kneeling in front of her. "Hey, what's this? Talk to us, Sam. What happened?"

"I remembered," Samantha sobbed. "I remembered what happened. Why Brandi was driving like she was. I saw Asthton in the cafeteria and it all came back like a tidal wave. I remembered."

She curled up even tighter and sobbed.

"Oh, sweetie," I said, rubbing her back.  "Oh honey. All at once, huh?  Oh, bunny."

"I want to go home," she sobbed.

"Okay," I said. "We can go home. Did you hurt yourself? Do we need to stop at the doctor?" 

"No," Samantha said. "I just want to go home. I can't be here today. I want to go home."

My heart broke for Samantha. I still didn't know what she'd remembered. She hadn't told us yet, and I wasn't going to pressure her.

"Do you need anything out of your locker?" I asked. Sam shook her head. Brendon picked up her backpack and I helped Sam stand up and put her crutches on her arms. I put my arm around her for support. Brendon took her other side.

"I'll write up a dismissal form and bring it to the office," the nurse said. "Sam, I hope you feel better soon, okay?"

Samantha nodded and we walked slowly through the quiet hallways, the students still in their classes.

"Sam!" I heard a male voice coming from behind us. Samantha stopped and turned around. It was Dylan.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" He asked, as he came up to us. Samantha shrugged.

"I'm gonna just go home," she said, quietly, to Dylan.

"Yeah. I get it. Can I call you later? Or text?"

"I guess. You can text me. I'm not much in the mood to talk on the phone."

"Okay. I'll text you later. Can I give you a hug?"

I was impressed by this kid's ethic. Asking Samantha for permission to hug her, and not just going in for a hug. I smiled. Dylan seems like a good kid.

Samantha nodded and Dylan wrapped his arms around her.

"Feel better, okay?  I'll talk with you later," he said. "And I won't say anything to anyone. I mean, anyone who didn't see you pass out."

"Thanks," Sam said, and turned away.  "I'm just gonna go home."

We led Samantha out of the school and to the car. I got in the driver's seat again while Brendon got in the back with Samantha, and held her in his arms. Her tears hadn't stopped still. But I wasn't sure she was aware she was still crying. She wasn't entirely focussed. I thought we might have to call her therapist to come over today instead of taking Sam there tomorrow. I'd make that call once we got home.