She thought about how she hadn't seen much of Draco lately since he had taken the mark, he was always being called out to do something, she wanted to ask but he always looked so tired she didn't want to burden him. She wasn't sure what he could be doing as he had the trace on him still like her so whatever tasks and or jobs, he was doing he wasn't using magic. She hadn't seen her mother since the night Draco took the dark mark, but if she was being entirely honest with herself, they were probably just avoiding each other.

She sat back down and continued to write until the darkness took over as she slipped into a deep sleep.

*

Maia was woken up to the sound of a familiar voice, her neck and back were incredibly stiff due to falling asleep at the table. She couldn't hear it clearly enough, sleep still wanting to take over.

"Maia?" she heard the voice "Maia, what are you doing here?" the voice continued, she slowly sat up and opened her tired eyes to see Draco in front of her. He was wearing his newly gifted Death Eater robes, dressed all in black, the contrast of them compared to ice-white hair and alabaster skin was almost poetic in a way she thought.

"Maia, you know you have ink all over your face? You must have fallen asleep in a puddle of spilt ink" he jested, letting a small chuckle escape his lips. She noted how his lips curled up into a signature Malfoy sneer. She quickly rubbed her face even though she realised that probably just made the black ink smears worse.

"I've been doing research and it's safe in here only you can come in, so I won't run into Aunt Bella on a homicidal rampage or No-Nose with his pet. It's peaceful. I was taking a page out of your witch's book" Maia snipped. "What are you doing here? You never come in the library?" Maia looked at his hands he was holding a book on repairing magical objects.

He must have noticed her looking as he quickly hid the book in his robes. "The less you know the better" he clipped back at her. He was using her own words against her the cheeky git. "You've been in here for well over a week, go shower and take a break. A change of scenery will do you good. I can see it in your face something is bothering you, and staring at the same pages won't give you an answer."

She rolled her eyes, "I assume you will tell me when I'm ready to know?" she quizzed him as she got up from her chair and grabbed her rolls of parchment. "How are things? Are you okay?" she asked him.

He looked at her as she grabbed her things, taking a moment before replying. "Trust me, Maia, what I'm doing now is the easy part, I'm grateful to still have the trace on me. It means there's only so much he can ask me to do, the difficult part is having to be around the rest of them, a bloody vile lot. I don't just mean their views on muggle-borns; I mean I don't think any of them have taken a bath since he returned about 2 years ago" he joked as Maia started laughing. These moments, where they could just laugh and be 16 were the ones Maia held close, if she could make them last long enough, she could pretend their world wasn't ending.