Chapter 9 - Independence Day: Tale as Old as Time

Începe de la început

I don't know...

Something came to me. "You worried about people knowin' where you live? I guess that's fair. Cameras and reporters follow me everywhere."

She was silent for a minute, and I was wondering what she was thinking about. Elvis... there's this thing I can do...

This caught my attention. I perked up like a cat. "And what's that?"

I... can make it so no one recognizes you, but for only ten minutes. I'm still learning to master the art of disguise for myself and others.

My pulse started going faster in shock and excitement. "Hold on, you can do that? Whoa! Yeah, then let's do it!"

I was up and out of the basement and heading up to my room to change. When I was through, I came down to the living room and saw Daddy there. "Oh, good mornin', son. Happy 4th."

"Yeah, Happy 4th, Daddy. Listen, I'm headin' out for a little bit this mornin' okay? You all have breakfast without me."

His brows shot up. "You missing the 4th of July breakfast that Gertrude and some of the guys help out with? What are you up to?"

Indeed, this was odd for me. Next to Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner, the Graceland 4th of July breakfast was my favorite meal. "I'll be back when you guys are still workin' on it since it'll last until 'round eleven."

I headed for the door as I had on black slacks and a blue dress shirt that would match the blue on the American flag. Daddy asked, "You gonna tell me where you're goin'?"

"I'll tell ya later. I don't have much time." I left the house and went down the stairs to my black Cadillac. I got in and sat at the wheel. "Okay, Ignis, do your magic. Literally. But first, tell me where you live."

She knew that I wasn't backing down from this. I could almost hear her sighing, with her hand over her forehead. I snickered at the thought.

Suddenly, her voice came back with an address, and I grinned. I started up my car and headed out. She was ten minutes away, but I didn't feel like any spell was put on me like the last time one was put on me. "So... did you make me unrecognizable?"

I assume that no one can see you in your car since the windows are tinted. When you get close, just tell me, and I will perform the spell. All you have to do is arrive, get out of your car on a busy street in downtown Memphis and watch the magic work.

This would be so much fun! I longed to see what it would be like to not have people recognize me for at least a few minutes, to go back to before I was famous for a little while. Wish granted. "I can't wait!"

I drove for a bit, and I noticed some people walking around wearing red, white and blue. Also, I saw some of them point at my car going by. Yes, people around here knew what my car looked like. "Oh, boy. Ignis..."

Just trust me, Elvis.

I had to take her word for it. "Okay. I trust you. And I'm gettin' into downtown."

A few more minutes, then. Down a certain street there is a parade. You know this since you grew up here.

"Indeed, I know that. What? Should I go down that street? Wait, do you live down that street?"

I live on the next street over, so it should be pretty busy. Alright, now's the time. Hold on a minute... 

I waited, and then I suddenly felt a zing run through me. "Whoa, was that it?"

Park your car and find out. There are plenty of people around.

Indeed, there were. Sometimes, I would be a part of this parade, but this year, I chose to opt out of it. Maybe I would be in it next year, just for fun. People loved it when I showed my face. I would usually be in one of my convertibles, and I did the waving thing as I went by like a beauty queen.