Eddard I

"Jon Arryn's party is just a ways off, your grace." Jory Cassel said as he sat upon his great steed.

"Very good, Ser Jory. Bring them to me."

Ned stood in his heavy coat, still as stone at the front of the greeting party as Jory rode out, barking orders to the knights that gathered in the yard. As the party shuffled into their spots, a tenseness filled the air. A perfect mix of excitement and dread. Ned could see the children out of the corner of his eye, peaking from the corners of the stables and from the windows of their keeps, desperate to catch glimpse of the Knights of the Vale. A lightness filled Ned's heart before a stone settled in the pit of his stomach. An entire generation of Northern children had grown up disconnected from Westeros, Ned thought to himself. By his own order. But their parents haven't forgotten. Ned could tell by the quiet haunting that rested behind their eyes. The chaotic reign of King Aerys left its scars on everyone. The men who lost their brothers. The mothers who lost their sons. All of them. All of them who followed their king to war. Who followed him to war. Ned forced himself to look them all in the eyes for a moment before he turned his gaze towards the sky.

The morning air grew colder, more cloudy by the day and snow fell faster and heavier. He eyed the black crow that had followed him wherever he went ever since the Rebellion.

Fly.

It circled him in the sky, unbothered by the coming winter storms.

Fly, the crow's shrieking grew louder in the back of Ned's mind. Follow me and fly.

I would. But I don't know how, Ned thought desperately. None of this was supposed to be for me.

"What are you looking at, my lord?" His lady asked from his side where she stood. Ned turned to her. Catelyn's auburn hair loosened from her braid as she fought to keep Arya still long enough to fix her hair.

"Sansa, help your sister with her hair." Catelyn said. Arya kicked the dirt, but Sansa responded dutifully.

"Yes, Mother." Sansa bowed her head and quickly helped her sister. Ned couldn't help but proudly smile. The lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Ned thought. She will grow to be a wonderful Lady. Just like her mother.

Before he could give Catleyn a proper response, heavy footsteps of horses and the loud sounds of carriages drew Ned's attention back to the present. The wind whipped the deep blue banners of House Arryn as they poured into Winterfell. They were two hundred strong, knights, bannermen, and sworn swords, as they carried the adorned white crescent moon and falcon overhead.

Ned didn't recognize many of the riders anymore, since the last time he rode with House Arryn's party he was still a boy. A boy who hadn't yet seen the horrors of war. A boy whose greatest dream was being a Bannerman for his brother. How long ago that all was.

As the King of the Vale dismounted his horse, the burden of time showed plainly on his face. Jon Arryn's hair was whiter, and he had lost a few more of his teeth, but even so, Ned still recognized the kindness in the old man's face. It was the face of the man who raised him. Of the man who defended him against a King's Madness. Ned watched the old lord, no, King, slowly make his way towards him. He waited for Jon to get within arms reach before he quickly pulling his second father into a bone crushing hug.

"My lord, it's been too long." The old man whispered gently.

"It has." Ned said, pulling back but keeping a firm hand on Jon Arryn's shoulders. "I hope the journey wasn't too difficult?"

"In my old age, journeys like this are always difficult." Jon said wearily. "But we made it through."

"Of that I am glad." There was so much more Ned wanted to say. But it would have to wait.