Prologue: pale blondes are scary looking

When Lyre was 3 years of age her father was sent to life in prison for the death of 13 muggles

When Lyre was 3 years of age her father was sent to life in prison for the death of 13 muggles. Under normal circumstances she would continue living with her mother, and her life would continue to be normal. Unfortunately, her mother a defenseless muggle was taken and tortured by death eaters the same night her father killed all those people. St. Mungos hospital allowed her mother to stay for as long as they thought they could cure her of her ailment and as long as her fathers insurance would cover the circumstance. Yet today more misfortune has
Befallen the small 3 year old. Today was the last time Lyre and her godfather would be visiting her muggle mother. The hospital was petitioned a few weeks before to let go of any unnecessary patients, due to a lack of funding. the fact that Lyres mother; Gwendolyn was not a witch in need of their services she was part of the cut patients. The hospital found her sanity to be to unstable for the muggle world, they had decided to wipe her memory of all things wizardry and send the woman to a muggle mental institution for her health. Lyre was very upset by the situation only being a 4 year old and having both parents removed from her life.

fortunately though the girls godfather, Remus Lupin was willing to step up and take the poor girl in as his own. she quite adored her uncle; her father wanted to leave her to someone else, but her mother and Remus where on better terms. Lyre and Remus got along better to, he would often visit the girl when she stayed with her father. him and Lyre usually had grand old time when they were together except today was nothing like the usual . seated next to each other in a flying carriage Remus had finally got to nerve to speak to the abnormally quiet girl.
"How are we feeling jellyfish?" Lyre had barely spoke a word since her father got sent away, most days she just plays in the garden by herself which was odd because she would usually be full of life.
"Do- do you think mommy still loves me?" She asked the man who now had his gentle warm hands comforting her back as she lightly sobbed.
"Jellyfish, it's not that she doesn't love you, it's more like her mind is missing. I know it hard to understand, but she has to reason her mind in to coming back. looking at things right now it might be a very long time before that can ever happen" The man spoke as if he was now sad , he hadn't been at his best, both of his only friends had been murdered by a man he thought to be his best friend. He was also now supposed to raise his murderous best friends child and sign away her mother's memory's. He was certainly not prepared for this situation and to top it all off he had an affliction of werewolf-ism which would certainly hinder his success in raising a child. It's not as if he didn't love Lyre already, it's more of the fact that he didn't wish for this situation to ever happen and really didn't ever expect it to happen.
He was very young, only 21. Lyres mother had gotten pregnant when she was 17 which had got her kicked out of the house. He had originally planned to leave lyre with her grandfather on her mothers side, he found out quickly though that they were not the welcoming sort of people. He ultimately knew most people on the fathers side of the family to be evil. He really didn't wish for the sweet angelic girl to be sent to a home where she would be unloved. Ultimately though, he felt like the child needed him. Not someone she didn't know, but someone who knew her. He felt like he had a responsibility to the little girl. A responsibility to step up.
The little girl was now in tears as she turned back to her uncle "do you think- mommy will still love me when she forgets?" Remus then understood that the toddler had full grasp of her situation, and he couldn't help himself from shedding a few tears of his own. He spoke in a broken voice as he pulled the girl in for a hug.
"Oh, Lyre she will always love you, even when you're old and she is gone she will love you." He held the toddler as she cried. When they got to St. Mungos, the flying carriage that had escorted them left. Lyre had reached up for Remus hand with the gift she had her mother in other. When they finally got to her mothers room, some ministry men had taken the attention of Remus to talk about the conditions of the hospital Lyres mother would be sent to. Saying bigger words that Lyre had no knowledge of, like "health insurance policy's". Lyres eyes nervously met her mothers, and all of the nerves Lyre had melted behind her. Lyre had always adored her mother, she had been living with her since she was born. She had always preferred her mother to her father, that was no secret either. She ran up to the woman seated in a hospital bed just happy to be near her again. they had visited a few times in the months since the incident, But Gwendolyn had barely been able to speak. looking at her today it looked as though the woman was finally able to raise her head, despite her better posture her eyes seemed empty compared to how they used to look.
"Mommy, uncle says you have to go away... so I got you this" Lyre spoke hushed as to not startle her mother and pulled out a purple elephant stuffed animal "I know mommy loves purple. I hope you can take this to the muggle hospital." Lyre was attempting to climb up on to the bed to give the elephant to her mother. It was as if the woman had no soul left, Gwendolyn's hair was its usual straight pale blonde, on normal days it would seem to glow just as the woman did. today though the hair looked more grey and lifeless. She bore an equally pale complexion, her sunken cheeks accented her dark lilac eyes, eyes that where once beaming with life. eyes that the woman had once shared with her daughter a trait they both admired. in fact their violet eyes might have been their only similarity. Lyre was much more like her father in many ways, she loved to laugh and have fun. adventuring and causing plenty of mischief, while her mother enjoyed much more gentle things, like painting and photography. Lyre finished swinging her legs up on to the hospital bed positioning herself in front of her mother. the little girl spoke softly as to not interrupt the adults, but also not startle her much dissociated mother.
"Maybe when you're all better we can play in uncle Remus garden, and I can show you the gnomes and, we can laugh again just like you used to." The girl smiled up at the still woman, who slowly crept her head down to make a brief eye contact with the little girl. The woman opened her mouth slow and wide, and started laughing in a loud, cracking, almost sinister voice. The laughs were about two seconds apart from each other, and it made Lyre cry. Before anything else could happen, the little girl was pulled from the room by her uncle. That was the last time she ever saw her mother as the door closed and she heard the nurse yell a spell that would eventually calm the woman down. It was also the last time the little girl had ever smiled.