Cougar Woods: shifters x age-gap x forbidden love

Here's one from my paranormal romance novella, Cougar Woods, about hot middle-aged women who shift into cougars. 😉

When Liza's twin brother vanishes from Vancouver Island without a trace, Liza packs her bags to investigate his disappearance. But as she looks for clues in Cougar Woods, the town where he was last seen, she discovers a mysterious history of animal attacks.

Then Liza meets a woman named Winter, who lives an affluent life on the coast and has a dark secret. While Liza begins to uncover the truth about the island's cougar population and the connection to missing young men, she is distracted by a temptation like none she's ever felt. Winter might be older than Liza and out of her league, but there's an irresistible connection between them.

As Liza works to unravel the ancient legend of shifters, she fights her attraction to the one woman she should fear the most.

Let's drop on on Liza as she's taken to Winter's mansion for the first time...

Heat level: sex described in detail

***

"You live here alone?" Liza asked, stunned. It was the biggest house she'd ever been in, more like a lodge she once stayed at in Whistler.

"I'm... a solitary creature," Winter said semi-apologetically.

Her home was somewhere between a log cabin and a mansion, both cozy and upscale. Everything was wood and stone. Through the back window, soft lights illuminated an infinity pool that looked out on the moonlit ocean. The burble of a waterfall carried faintly into the house.

Liza looked around for signs of a dog bowl or cat box. "Do you have any pets?"

Winter shook her head. "Completely alone."

Liza shifted. Maybe she shouldn't have come over if Winter preferred solitude. "I don't have to stay. I was just a little shaken from—"

"No, stay. I can make an exception for you," Winter said, her lips curving upward.

Whatever that look was, it sent a pleasant ripple through Liza.

Between Winter's promise to help and the prospect of spending the night in this incredible house with this gorgeous woman, Liza's spirits were better than they'd been since Brayson's disappearance. She had a real chance of finding him and bringing him home. She just had to keep her cool until morning, when they could get started on a plan.

How did she get so lucky as to stumble on this woman right when she needed her?

"Can I get you a drink or do you want to get to sleep right away?" Winter asked.

"I think I'm too full of adrenaline to sleep right now," Liza admitted. "If that's okay. I don't want to keep you up."

Winter tilted her head. "Do you always spend more time worrying about others' comforts before your own?"

Liza opened her mouth, realized that this might possibly be true, and closed it.

Winter led her to the vast kitchen with its bar-sized liquor cabinet. "What's your drink? I have everything."

"Surprise me."

"How about a mojito? I have fresh mint that's begging to be picked." She motioned to the windowsill, where six pots of herbs grew.

"Sounds yummy."

Liza couldn't help smiling at the cute potted herbs, which had mint, parsley, and other names written on the sides in chalk. She imagined living in a house of her own one day, plants on the windowsill, a garden out back. Winter had built a comfortable life, and she'd done it solo, which was incredible. Again, curiosity about Winter's life tugged at Liza. How had she earned the money to buy this place? What did she do for work, and what was her family like?