Chapter 1: Fire And Ice

"It's been three hours, Fremi should be back by now." Lyney muttered, pacing back and forth in the living room, fidgeting with his poker cards. "What happened to him? Did he get lost along the way? Knowing him, he's probably diving somewhere again." 

"Should we just call for help instead?" Lynette suggested calmly, in contrast to how nervous and fidgety her older brother was. "This isn't the first time Fremi has gone off on his own to who knows where, diving or exploring in the Salacia Plains. Remember what happened three months ago on a Wednesday night?" 

Hearing her words made Lyney stifle a laugh, "Yeah, he got attacked by crabs underwater and almost died, we had to call for a search and rescue team just to bring him back home past midnight. But still, i just....have a bad feeling, what with the emergency earlier too." 

She hummed to herself thoughtfully. The whole of Fontaine had gone into a frenzy after experiencing a huge Tsunami disaster just three hours ago, a tragedy that occured with no signs of warning or even an earthquake to trigger it which had puzzled researches and investigators. Was this some kind of natural phenomenon? The eruption of an underwater volcano perhaps? And it had happened when Freminet was not at home, thus causing the two siblings to start voicing their theories and suspicions. 

"Ugh, this is killing me....." He grumbled, frustratingly ruffling his hair. "Let's just go find him ourselves, Lynette, I'm sick of just waiting around like this without doing anything." 

"But they've already sent out a team to search for survivors." She answered, gazing out of the window. It was too dark for her to see anything at all. "Although, I'm feeling quite impatient now, they're taking too long." 

"See what I mean?!" He protested, grabbing his hat and coat, making his way towards the door. "Come on Lynette, let's do this ourselves, we have to bring our brother back." Finally giving in, Lynette reluctantly agreed and followed after her brother as they both left the house, having the same goal in mind. In the dead of night, the two Fatui siblings walked the freakishly empty streets of Fontaine with only a few citizens passing by, ready to leave the city and out into the wild unknown.

Temperatures had dropped tremendously, the disaster had caused the natural weathers of Teyvat to go completely off kilter. Looking up, Lynette could see stormy dark clouds forming, causing their surroundings to dim even more, the many street lamps lining the roads seemed to be of no help at all. Lyney had voiced his regret on not bringing a flashlight as they walked. The further they went, the colder it became. Lynette had chosen to accept her brother's embrace in hopes of warming up, sometimes stopping by cooking stalls and shops to purchase whatever they would need. Now with a bright oil lantern and a candle in hand, the two siblings continued on. Time was ticking, by the time they had arrived at the city's center, 20 minutes had passed. 

That was when it started to snow. Lynette had felt it first, the sudden drop in temperature and how it was instantly brought to a freezing low. The candle she held had lost its flame and it was far too cold to light it up again, some of the torches and lanterns nearby had also gotten too weak to provide illumination. The city of Fontaine now had gotten much darker than usual, intensifying the creeping sensation of fear and dread of what might happen next.

 "That's impossible...." He mumbled, a gust of air could be seen as he breathed and spoke. "It's snowing in Fontaine, what the hell...?" Holding out his hand, Lyney saw the falling of snowflakes turning his gloves white. Like gazing up at the clear night sky to admire the stars above. "The Tsunami was not a natural disaster, Lynette, something must have caused it." 

"But what is it?" She asked, "We're both not prepared to travel any further. If it was going to keep snowing, soon we will be trapped in thick piles of frozen ice and avalanches, or even worse, blizzards that will end up killing us before we can find our brother again. This is just great...." True enough, it was now far too cold for the siblings to be out in the open so they have rushed off to find shelter inside an empty telephone booth that was wide enough to fit them both.