Chapter 3

"Aisha. Why is there a bloody knife here?"

She gasped as her eyes widened in shock. The bags she was holding tumbled to the floor as her crystal blue eyes followed the knife.

A grim feeling erupted in my stomach. Just when I thought she was innocent.

"Mrs. Umar, I'm going to ask you again. Why is there a bloody knife in your front yard?" Her breathing quickened as her eyes started to pull with tears.

"Ibrahim I swear to Allah I have never seen that knife before. You have to believe me." I watched her for a second before I slowly began to wrap the knife in the bag.

"Get inside your house please. Lock all the doors and don't answer the phone. I'm going to take the knife in for inspection." I started to walk away when Aisha started to plead.

"Ibrahim I have a little girl. Why would I lie to you. You have to believe me, I never seen that knife-"

"Mrs. Umar it doesn't matter if I believe you or not. Your safety is at stake so I need you to listen and calm down. Huda is waiting inside, please don't make this more difficult than it already is." She closed her mouth and slowly shook her head before wiping her tears and slamming the door shut.

I briefly heard the noise of the door being locked before I turned around and walked to my car. A strange feeling erupted deep inside me.

Yusuf was killed with a gun, not a knife. Who's blood was that?

***

"You're telling me you found it near the trash can?"

After I left her house, I went straight to the chief to tell him my findings. He rubbed his head and rested his chin on his palm while staring at the bloody knife.

"Yes sir. I found it near the trash can in front of her door. There was a pool of fresh blood under it too. When she seen it, she acted as if it was never there before. I have a feeling that she really doesn't know, but until I find out otherwise, she's the only suspect we've got."

Uncle Hussien nodded his head and pushed the bag away from himself. "Send it to Junaib and tell him to give it to forensics. We need to find out who's blood that is and the fingerprints on the handle."

I nodded and started for the door when he called me back.

"And Ibrahim, I want you to have the rest of the day off. I know you've been really busy these last couple of day, and have been cutting back on your sleep. Go home son, you really need the rest."

I almost nodded and stopped when Huda's smiling face flashed through me. That little girls father died, and I can't sleep until I find out who killed him.

"Thank you sir. I'll stay for a little bit and then go home." He nodded and gave me a smile before I closed the door shut.

I walked to my office and immediately rushed to the computer. A memory came back to me when I realized that this morning when we visited Yusuf's house, Khadijah was throwing out the trash.

The knife could've fallen out from the bag.

I searched her name and waited for her address to pop up when my door was swung open.

"Sir, you have a visitor."

I closed my lap top and nodded my head. A small women walked in and looked down. Her black hijab and abaya dulled the area behind her and she slowly moved to sit in the empty chair in front of me.

"How can I help you?"

She looked up at me with black eyes and sighed. "I came to tell you some information that may help with your investigation. Yesterday night, I was sitting with my husband when someone screamed out window. I jumped and yelped, while Adam went to check the doors. A gun shot immediately followed, and we froze. Sir, you see I'm pregnant with our first child. Adam didn't want to get involved so he ushered me into the room and told me not to tell anyone. He was afraid something would happen to me or the baby. But this morning when I seen you talking with Aisha, it hurt to keep it a secret. I had this sudden urge to tell you everything. I'm sorry." She looked back down and fiddled with her hands.