Chapter 6

Aemma sat in her solar, the soft glow of the midday sun filtering through the stained glass windows, casting a beautiful mix of colors across the room. Before her lay the meticulously organized ledger books brought to her by Maester Mellos, the diligent keeper of the castle's records.

As she skimmed through the pages, her mind wandered, consumed by the events of the day. The weight of her responsibilities pressed heavily upon her shoulders. Viserys has told her to not start right away, to rest for the remainder of the day, but she just couldn't do that. As soon as he kissed her goodbye to attend to his own duties and the door of her solar has closed, she fixed her unused desk, alone despite the protest from her ladies, and waited for the maester to bring forth her work material and start.

She was regretting it now, as her head began to ache, and her wrists tiring from taking so many notes.

She knew she should wait for the builders to arrive, for Lord Beesbury to join them... she had to wait for so many people that would come and do most of the job for her, but she felt restless. She thought writing off an idea, a concept, anything that could start this process earlier and save her time later could, perhaps, ease the burden placed on her.

The thought of the new village filled her with a mix of excitement and trepidation. It was an opportunity to build a legacy, a testament to her husband's vision and her own capabilities. A chance to be remembered in the pages one day, wherever they place her name along it or not. Yet, it also meant shouldering the burden of ensuring its success, not just for the present generation, but for generations to come.

A chance that is too precious to be ignored or neglected, Rhaenyra would agree.

A smile took over her face as she thought about her daughter. The young princess never looked so radiant and joyful as she did this last moon.

Truthfully, Rhaenyra was her biggest motivation. The shine in her daughter's eyes, when she told her about her decision to join the council, warmed her heart on the same way it did when she was first placed against her chest, back when she was a newborn. Aemma longed to see it again, see the lovely princess look at her with such love and admiration till the end of her days.

Her daughter didn't bother to hide her excitement when hearing the news, she was almost as happy as when she was informed of her betrothal. She had kissed her mother's hands with such devotion, it made her father shed a tear.

Viserys, who competed with his daughter when it came to support, was equally delighted with the news. He held her close that night, before escorting her to her chambers, and whispered a hundred words of encouragement to her ear.

Her family was so sweet and loving, that she feared disappointing them. Again.

Her free hand lowered to her belly, caressing softly the life that resided there.

Once she was able to read her husband like a book, she could see the unspoken words in his actions, in his eyes. Now, she felt clueless.

Something was different about her dear husband, there's been a change and she placed it around a moon ago, when he irrumped into her room, the day he told her about giving Rhaenyra to Daemon. He attributed all to his terrible dream, the one he would not tell her or anyone about.

Before that he would not go a day without gently caressing her belly, as she was doing, and talk to their child. Now it was as though said child didn't exist, his eyes never even set below her breast for longer than a second. And he always appears perturbed by the view.

She couldn't believe it was due to a dream, not really. Viserys loved the stories of Dreamers, and longed to be one, she knew, but a mere dream couldn't have caused such revolt in him. Most of his dreams involved a heir, and they had been persistent throughout the years, could he had discarded them all for a new dream? And what would that dream be?