Chapter 2

------------> Tyler!

Tobias POV

As the final bell rang, Tobias grabbed his stuff, and scrambled out the door into the surge of people. He wanted to get lost, maybe if he was lucky, Ash wouldn't find him. But no such luck came to him, because right outside the front door, with his two croonies by his side, was Ash. Ash was the head of the wrestling team, in a bodily sense a god, but when it came to personality, he was the devil. He was the biggest homophobe Tobias had ever met, not that he'd had a lot of experience with them, being he was still in the closet. Everyday after school got out, the three guys would follow Tobias on his way home, and when they were a safe distance from the school, and his house, they would beat the crap out of him.

This was alright with Tobias, because then when his dad beat him, it didn't hurt so bad. No one at the school ever seemed to notice the bruises and cuts. Even if they had, no one cared enough to do anything about it.

As he walked down the drive, he could hear the Stooges following him (Ash and his two croonies.) When he hit the highway, he snuck a glace back, and sure enough, they were tailing him. After a good five minutes, the three started closing the gap towards him. Then, within a minute of that, Ash grabbed his shoulder.  He jerked his arm back, causing Tobias to crash backwards and land painfully on his backpack.

“Oof!” He grunted and struggled of unhook himself from the bag.

“What cha gonna do now fairy boy?” Ash taunted, as he threw a kick, that landed on Tobias’  chest.

That’s original.’ Tobias thought. The ironic part was the fact that none of the actually knew he was gay. They just called him that because they weren’t smart enough for anything else. They continued to taunt him, while punching and kicking him. When they finally decided he’d had enough for the day, the turned on spot and walked back to school.

Tobias groaned as he pulled himself up. Everything on his body hurt. ‘Must have been a bad day,’ he thought, because they were especially brutal. When he finally trudged up his driveway, it had started pouring down rain, and he was soaked to the bone. He slogged inside, and pulled off his jacket and shoes.

“Tobias! Is that you?” His mother called from the kitchen.

“Yeah mom. It’s pouring outside, and I got soaked, so imam go take a hot shower to warm up.”

“Ok T, but then I need you to watch Lilly; I have to go to the store for dinner.”

Lilly, his sister, was only 10, but she was the smartest one ever. She could solve math problems that Tobias hadn’t even learned yet.

“Sure mom.” He called as he climbed into the steaming water.

Tyler’s POV

As Tyler lay in his bed, he thought of everything he’d left behind. He already missed all his friends, but especially Blake. Blake was his best friend, out of all the one’s he’d had, and they were inseparable. This was partly due to the fact that he was in love with Blake, but Blake never knew. No one in Deitrik had known that he was gay, and he liked it that way.

Sometimes he did wonder what it would be like to have an open relationship, and not be afraid of what people think, but growing up militarily had not exactly helped his confidence in people. Not that his father had problems with gays, his brother (Tyler’s uncle) was gay, but he had seen how some people handled the fact, and he didn’t want to go there.

Rose came barging in, in the middle of this thought and Tyler sat up crossly.

“What.” He asked flatly.

“Dad says you’re needed downstairs. It’s almost time for dinner.”

“Ok. I’ll be right down.”

Tyler sighed and stood up, pulling his earbuds out, and dropping his iPod on the bed. He headed downstairs, and found his father and sister already sitting at the table.

“What’s for dinner? Chinese?” He asked, commenting on the obvious fact that they were both eating with chopsticks.

“Just sit down and eat.” His sister said. He always annoyed her I way’s he would never understand.

“Rose…”His father warned her, “Please be civil. No fighting tonight. Then you can hate each other as much as you want, while at your schools.”

Tobias sat on the other side, across from his father, and picked up the unopened container and chopsticks. ‘I can’t wait to get out of here.’ He thought.

~

Tobias’ POV

The next morning Tobias dragged himself out of bed. His father had come home after they had eaten dinner, and decided it was a good time to be drunk. He slapped Tobias around for a while, before passing out on the couch. Tobias hoped that he had left for work already. His father wasn’t a bad man, just a very bad drunk. This was made worse by the fact that he couldn’t stand gay people. Tobias never understood why, but he couldn't.

He struggled to the bathroom, and groaned at th sight before him. 'I need a shower...' he thought, and turned the water on.

When he was finished getting ready, he trudged down the stairs for breakfast. When he reached the kitchen, he saw his sister sitting at the table. She was always up early, even though she didn't need to be because she was homeschooled. He grabbed a plate, the bread and butter, and tossed the bread into the toaster. When the bread was toasted and buttered, he sat down to eat.

By the time he had eaten, it was time for him to leave. He grabbed his backpack, and some money for lunch, and headed out the door. Outside, it was chilly and foggy, and the smell of rain was in the air. He threw his jacket around his sholders and headed out into the fog.

Tyler's POV

When Tyler woke up, he glanced out the window. It was foggy and it looked very chilly.

"Great." He muttered, "just what i need."

He lazily pulled himself out of bed and headed to the shower. After he was dressed, he headed downstairs, and grabbed an apple. Rose wasn't out of the shower yet, 'Normal' he thought. She always took almost hour long showers. He heard his father in his room, he hoped they'd be ready to go in time. 'I really don't want to be late on the first day. Not that I'm really gonna go to any classes.'When they were finally ready to go, they piled into the car and headed off to Hartford School for Boys.

Tyler took a deep breath, and readied himself for the new school. 'Oh boy.'