The one with the green dress

"I can't believe you wore it".
Harry smiles proudly as he stares at her picture on his iPad.
She is posing on the red carpet at the Golden Globes, wearing the green custom made Gucci dress. And she looks incredible, and he feels his chest swell with pride.

"It was a beautiful birthday gift, it would have been a shame not to wear it". She says casually.

"I thought it would stay hidden in the back of a closet, or wherever it is you stash all the stuff I send you", he adds bitingly.

He likes surprising her, and whenever he comes across anything that makes him think of her, he never doubts getting it and sending it to her.

He has been doing this for years, since they met, using a pseudonym that only she can recognise, as a sender.
Even when they have not been on talking terms, he has never stopped sending her gifts regularly.
Even if he never got an answer or a thank you. He doesn't need them.

In this occasion it had been the custom made gown. He had first seen the dress, unfinished, on a mannequin in one of his many visits to Michele's atelier, when they were working to put together his tour outfits.
The fabric, and the deep square neckline, bringing her immediately to mind. And with the green shade being his color. It was perfect.
So He had asked Michele about it, helped him finish the design and bought it on the spot. It would make a perfect birthday gift, he thought.

She rolls her eyes at his words. "I like all your gifts, Styles. And they are not all locked away. It's just I cannot really go out there in stuff that screams your name, can I?", she says eyeing the curious abstract cat painting above her vanity, his gift also.

He feels a bit dejected at her words. Because he would love her to go out there in stuff screaming his name, even if it does not reflect their current relationship status.
They are both in very different paths of their lives, he knows, but he secretly loves when they claim a bit of each other like this. In wardrobe choices, colours, jewellery, song lyrics, photoshoots, mvs, anything.

"You look incredible, you know?. Lush. I knew it would suit you, but damn!", he can't help himself, admiring her again.

She laughs at his outburst. "I would have never thought of wearing anything like it. You should have seen Joseph's face when I told him that's it. He congratulated my choice", she laughs. "You have great fashion sense."

"Do I?", He scoffs looking down at his worn out t-shirt, his pretty common navy running shorts, and mismatched socks. He really needs to start making an effort again.

"Yeah, must come with the name". She teases him.

"So how is retirement going?", she pokes at him, suddenly changing the subject.

"I'm not retiring", he whines. "It's a break. And I'm actually working on something. But can't really tell", he smirks.

"Boring", she chants, teasing him.

"My last project fell through, so I'm
keeping this one really under wraps".

"Uhmm" she hums in response.

"I am not telling you", he laughs.
"When I feel it is safe to reveal, you will be the first one I will call". He promises. And she smiles warmly at the thought.

"Did you keep it though?", he asks quietly, referring to the dress. Different scenarios where she wears the dress just for him plaguing his mind.

She hums in affirmation. Knowing well what's going through his mind. The same imagery she pictured when she opened the box, put it on, and watched her reflection on her walking closet mirror, his mind wondering, What were you thinking when you chose this, Styles?.

"Maybe one day". She blurts out, on a quiet voice, still in her head.
And he painfully groans in response. A real groan, getting her out of her daze.

"Harry?"
"Here", he sighs.
"Don't send me more dresses", she warns him.
And he chuckles at the slight panic in her voice. You bet I will.

💚

In the clear yet?, good.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें