Chapter Forty-three

Start from the beginning

Yeah, he definitely needed to start exercising again.

Miguel played with Kimmy for a little bit before wanting to return to the trampoline. The girls however were also done. "Come on, Kimmy," he called over to her and waved his arm for Kimmy to come jump with him.

That's when Kimmy returned inside and headed back upstairs while Ben got started on dinner.

-- & --

November was also spent getting to know more people. Not only did Kimmy have to meet with Mrs. Johnson, but she also had to meet with a lady named Nicole. Mary and Miguel met with her, as well. It wasn't all at once. They met with her on Tuesdays while Kimmy met with Nicole on Wednesdays.

The first couple of sessions were just getting to know each other. The first time they met, she asked Kimmy to draw a picture of her family. The drawing could be of anyone, though, regardless if they were family or not. Nicole only wanted to know the people most important to Kimmy. So, Kimmy drew her mom and brother on one side of the blank piece of paper, and on the other side, she drew Stephen and his friends. Nicole didn't understand who they were even when she took a few guesses. It wasn't until she talked to Ben about it afterward did she know for next time.

To her relief, Kimmy still got to have visits with Zach, Sunday afternoons. Kayla arranged the visits with his foster parents at a park since their house was usually chaotic. Zach's foster dad had to stay in close range, though, especially when there were other kids around or anyone with an open drink.

That was another thing Kimmy had to be on high alert about. If any liquids were left unattended, Zach would find them and start chugging. He already had his first taste of beer when their dad wasn't looking. At first, their dad was mad and chewed Zach out once he ripped the can out of the kid's hands. But after a moment their dad laughed it off. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough and Kimmy could guess Zach's many quirks were another reason that drove their dad to leave.

It seemed like only Kimmy had the patience for Zach. That is until she saw him around his foster dad. Despite Kimmy trying to keep from warming up to hers, Zach loved his. He let his foster dad hug him and even kiss him on the forehead. They high-fived every time Zach slid down a slide, making sure the guy was watching or something.

"What are you doing, Zach?" Kimmy asked him quietly enough for only her brother to hear when he climbed back onto the playset. But of course, Zach did not respond, heading straight for the slide.

Kimmy watched Zach repeat the process, holding her arms on the colorful, metal railing. What was happening? Didn't Zach understand that wasn't their dad? Did Zach understand anything that was going on?

Kimmy left the visit with even more mixed feelings. Everything was changing and it felt like her family and everything she knew was being torn apart and for good.

The world and everyone seemed to move on and live their life as if nothing bad ever happened to them. Even Claudia had her moments when she looked happy. And Zach, he always seemed happy. Even after one of his meltdowns, the kid seemed to bounce back and would be making his happy noises he made.

It was all for show, though. Nobody had to be that happy. Not when Kimmy kept turning a corner or walking into a room only to catch glimpses of the masks being off. Especially Ben, who seemed to fail at hiding behind his mask.

Nothing changed since her attempt to raise her hand and praise from Mr. O'Reilly. Kimmy still stayed quiet in class. However, she kept an eye on Ryder to see if he used the pencil that was in the prize bag. The only pencils he ever used were those mechanical pencils. That being said, he could have thrown the Halloween pencil away or given it to someone and kept the candy and other things for himself.