One day, he completely disappeared from their lives. It didn't shake Hana and her mother at first, since he'd normally go places without informing either of them. Though it didn't put their mother much at ease, she did nothing about it--he was eighteen by that point and she didn't want to police him as much anymore.

But as the younger Hana arrived home from school the following day, she saw her mother sitting at the table, an unreadable expression, but clearly not one of delight on her face. She was hovered over a sheet of paper but stared blankly at the wall. Without saying anything, she slid the paper down the table for Hana to see. The latter's hands trembled as she picked up the paper. It couldn't be anything good.

My mother and sister, I love you more than anything in this world, which is why I have to leave. I owe too many of the wrong people so much money, much more than I can compensate for. They know where I go to school, and if I didn't leave, they'd find out where I live. I couldn't jeopardize your lives like that, so I'm holding myself responsible.

Please don't be upset or worry about me. I have a plan, and I'll be fine. Take care of yourselves, and I'll make it a priority to see you again when it's safe.

The young Hana placed a hand over her mouth, tears streaming down her face. It didn't feel real. Surely he'd walk through the door with his backpack and tell us all about his day, she thought.

"I already called the authorities," her mother's voice shook, as low as it was. "They said they can't do much about it, since he's legally an adult now."

The woman was too weak to go to work for the weeks following that, and was on paid leave until she felt like she could go to work. There truly was nothing anyone could do. The police and legal systems failed her, and her son disabled his phone number. His sudden disappearance left a pit in her, leaving her physically ill, clashing with her pre-existing heart issues.

After a week of leaving, her brother began leaving hefty checks, more than enough to cover their bills, rent, and all necessities. Neither cared for the money, however. They just wanted their boy back. At least these checks kept them assured that he was alive.

Hana, who took initiative of looking after her ill mother before and after school, prepared warm porridge in a bowl, knowing that it was the only thing her mother could stomach at the moment. She stood in front of her mom's room, tapping on the door to let her know she was entering. The sleeping woman was tucked into bed, in the exact position Hana left her in before leaving for school. She was normally awake by this time, but that particular day was an exception.

The student placed the warm bowl on the nightstand. "It's time to eat." She lightly shook her mother, but she was heavily asleep. She lightly pressed her hand on her mother's forehead, checking if the fever, one of the many things her mom was battling, had passed. The fever hadn't just passed, her temperature plummeted entirely. Hana's entire body froze with dread.

She began shaking her mother, more roughly this time, but to no avail.

She was gone.

After that grieving day, Hana had to relocate to an orphanage. She lost the two most important people to her in the span of two weeks. After graduating high school and turning eighteen, Hana was officially independent.

In her first year at the university, she was called into the academic counselor's office, who'd told her that a nearby apartment had been rented out for her for all four years and paid for by an anonymous giver.

The counselor asked if she'd like to accept the offer, as it of course could have been sketchy, but if only she knew what Hana knew. Hana accepted, wearing a genuine smile on her features, as for the first time in years, she was given another clue that her brother was still out there, alive, which was how she ended up where she was--in her second year of university living in the apartment flat he'd gotten for her and treating herself to luxuries with the checks her brother would send. She wondered where he had suddenly gotten this money from, but that wasn't the most of what she wondered about him.

Because in all this time, he never sent a letter nor tried to communicate.

*ೃ

In her pajamas, hair still damp from the shower, she crept into the dark kitchen, turning the lights on behind her. The first step to making noodles is to fill the pot with water, which Hana gladly fullfilled. Next would be to place the pot on the stove. She did so, and went to twist on the corresponding burner to boil mode--only she couldn't.

The knob fell right from her hand, being picked right off the stove. Hana could only stare at the predicament she got herself into. A broken stove handle. She could've easily tried a different burner and saved the problem for later, but she knew that if she didn't fix her stove at that very moment, she'd end up procrastinating, and may not even get it done.

That's how she found herself sitting at the small kitchen table, hovering over her phone as she played a video tutorial on precisely how to fix her dilemma. She, of course, checked the three other knobs, making sure they still worked, which they fortunately did.

She felt burdened as she got into different clothes and a rain jacket, preparing for the walk to her nearest department store. The rain had finally cleared up, one thing that was in her favor that night. It wasn't out of the ordinary for her or anyone from that complex to walk to that particular store, as her apartment was in a safe area, and her destination was only a twenty minute commute by foot.

Halfway into it, Hana felt extremely bored. She itched to listen to music, or a podcast, or anything, though she was no idiot. Yes, it was a safe area of living to walk at night, though irregardless, it would be a death wish to prance around at night deafened by some headphones. Just ten more minutes, she rationalized.

Her awareness was heightened at night by instinct, allowing her to perceive a figure some-hundred feet behind her. No worries, she rationalized once again, probably just someone getting a late night snack or something. It was no rarity for someone to walk these streets at night, but she took notice on the fact that the figure was rather male looking. He wore all black, and she couldn't distinguish a face.

Dismissing it, she still quickened her pace, so imagine her freight when the figure behind her did as well, and was now coming at a more alerting speed. She could hear those quick steps turn into running, and without giving it another thought, she ran as well.