Kara laughed again and started to massage his neck. "The effects will wear off soon. This will help."

"I-uh, had something I wanted to ask you," Rex hesitantly said.

Kara hummed, encouraging him to continue.

"I was wondering if-" Rex began, when Fives walked in.

"Kix told me about you two," Fives said, eyes glinting. "He told me how Rex warmed you up, Kara."

Kara wiped the sweat off her brow. "And? He was preventing me from dying. I nearly got hypothermia, you were there."

Fives rocked back and forth on his heels. "So I just wanted to stop by and... check to see how things were going."

Rex narrowed his eyes. "I really don't see how this is any of your business."

"You're right, my beloved brother's life is none of my business," Fives scoffed. "Come on! I have money riding on this!"

Kara handed Rex his armour piece by piece. "As great as this conversation is, I'm going to go clean up. I'll see you both later."

"Fives, do you want to go get something to eat?" Rex asked.

Fives nodded and they left together. They grabbed trays of food and found an empty seat.

"So did she win?" Anakin asked as he slid into a spot across from them.

"Yeah," Rex admitted.

"Cody's gonna love that," Anakin said.

"Cody's gonna love what?" Jesse asked, sitting down next to Anakin.

"Kara beat up Rex," Fives told him.

"She didn't beat me up!" Rex defensively said. "She just... won most of our rounds."

"She was massaging his neck," Fives gossiped.

"She pinched a nerve on my neck!" Rex said as the others all stared at him. "It hurt!"

"Kix saw her sitting on his lap," Fives shared, leaning forward.

Jesse gasped. "No!"

Rex pinched the bridge of his nose. "Can I have any privacy in my life?"

Anakin chuckled and told Jesse and Fives about something R2D2 had done, effectively distracting them.

"Can I ask you something?" Rex softly asked.

"Sure, anything," Anakin responded, a hint of concern in his voice. "What is it?"

"How do you ask someone to be your romantic partner?" Rex awkwardly asked. "Hypothetically."

"Money," Fives immediately said. "Bribe them with money."

"Make a romantic dinner. Have roses. Then ask," Anakin said.

"Just ask." Jesse shrugged. "If you overthink it you'll work yourself up."

Then Fives clutched at his chest dramatically as his mouth gaped. "Does this mean what I think it means?"

Rex shook his head. "No. I've been seeing someone on Coruscant," he lied. "I've been working up the courage to ask them out."

Anakin ran a hand through his hair. "I see. Anyone we know?"

"No," Rex lied again. 

"I can't believe this," Fives grumbled, crossing his arms. "You knew about the bet, but didn't think to help me out?"

"Again," Rex reminded him, "my private life isn't any of your business."

"Did you find a place for Kara to sleep?" Anakin asked, shooing the others away.

"She joined us a month ago, so yes," Rex replied dryly. "There was an extra bunk in the barracks, so she took it."

"We're headed out to Naboo. There's a rumoured vial of the Blue Shadow Virus out in the base. Apparently the Separatists are rushing there too," Anakin said, scowling. "I doubt we missed one, but we don't want to take any chances."

"How did everyone hear about it?" Rex questioned. "There's no way both sides just heard some random gossip at the same time."

Anakin pursed his lips. "There might be a bounty out for it with evidence to prove it exists. And a bird might've been found infected with the disease in the area. But that doesn't mean anything!"

"Oh wow, yeah that really could mean anything," Rex sarcastically said before catching himself. "With all respect, sir."

"No offence taken, Captain," Anakin said and waved his hand dismissively.

"I assume we're taking a small squad?" Rex pushed his empty tray away. "A full battalion might be a bit awkward squeezing into it."

Anakin nodded. "And we'll be taking Kara with us. She's an expert on things like this, so if worst comes to worst she might be able to help."

"I'll make sure she's caught up on the Blue Shadow Virus." Rex began to stand up, but paused when Anakin held a hand out.

"I'd prefer it if Ahsoka didn't hear about this," Anakin murmured. "She still has nightmares about the first incident, and I'm not making her go on this mission. But she'll feel obligated if she hears about this."

"Why does she think we're going to Naboo then?" Rex's forehead furrowed as he said waited for Anakin's response.

"I told her some excuse about needed to return to properly fill out files. She believes someone didn't do it right the last time we were on Naboo," Anakin explained. "Can I trust you won't tell her?"

"Understood, sir." Rex promised himself Ahsoka wouldn't find out, because he knew it would break her to return to the place she saw so many clones die, and she could do nothing about it.