14

Major Coda moment coming up.

Tw: Violence, blood, harsh language, Rex being an idiot

With an aching head and heavy wrists, Rex woke.

He raised his hands to his head to rub at it, pausing when the metal of his binders bit into his skin. He cursed under his breath as the recent events came flooding back to him.

"Sleep well, pretty boy?"

Rex jerked his head up to Kara, who was leaning against the wall with a satchel hanging from her shoulder. She pushed herself up and strode towards him, having already deactivated the shield.

"What?" Rex croaked, blinking at her in confusion.

"It was set to stun. Did you really think we'd let a valuable prisoner go to waste?" Kara yanked him to his feet and marched him into the hallways. "Now be quiet."

They walked in silence for several minutes, attempting to be as stealthy as possible.

"Did you know it was set to stun?" Rex muttered, reluctantly following her.

Kara glanced over her shoulder at him for a moment before looking away. "I said be quiet. Do you want us to get caught?"

"Get caught?" Rex echoed, picking up his pace. "Does that mean you're finally switching sides?"

"We'll see." Kara came to a sudden stop, ducking behind a corner as patrolling droids came into view. "Haven't made up my mind yet."

"What do you mean you haven't made up your mind yet?" Rex demanded, lowering his voice to avoid being detected. "You're helping me escape!"

"Yeah. And?" Kara retorted. She started to sprint toward the hatch, now that it was in view. The droids were gone and they were in the clear. She hurried up the ladder and opened the hatch. "Come on!"

Rex ran to her side, watching her slide down the ladder. "I still don't understand why."

Kara gave him the most serious look he'd ever seen on him and said, "I realized I couldn't do what they wanted me to. It was just past the line."

"So come with me!" Rex pleaded. "We can both make it out of here! You can fight for the right side!"

He could see her consider it, and felt a spark of hope that maybe, maybe she'd switch sides.

Kara swallowed thickly. "Alright." She motioned for him to start climbing the ladder and realized he was still cuffed. "Let me help with that."

He binders fell to the ground with a heavy clunk and he rubbed his sore wrists. "Let's go, then." Rex made his way out of the bunker, taking in a deep breath of the fresh air.

Kara's scream cut through the air, making his blood run cold.

He whipped around to see Kara struggling to escape Coda's grip, blood dripping from her forehead.

"Oh, Dooku's going to have your head!" Coda maniacally laughed. "And guess what, Kara? I found my use to him! Capturing you!"

Kara tried to push him off her, but he pinned her arms to her sides and pulled her tighter against him. "You bastard!"

Rex began to descend the ladder, trying to help her. "Kara!"

"Oh, Captain, leave the two traitors to sort this out themselves." Coda simpered, raising a blaster at him.

Kara managed to free one arm and chucked her satchel at Rex. "Get out of here! What are you doing?"

"I'm trying to save you!" Rex hissed, keeping his gaze steady with Coda's. He had caught the bag and had it hanging from his neck.

"Get out of here, you idiot!" Kara shrieked as Coda slammed her against the wall. She smiled weakly at Rex, blood shining on her teeth. "I've had worse."

She spun away from Coda and kicked his stomach, making him double over. Rex still hesitantly stood near the hatch.

"I said get out of here!" Kara snapped. "I'm right behind you."

Coda swept her feet out from beneath her, and Kara fell. Her head hit the ground with a sickening crunch that could be heard in the otherwise complete silence that had appeared.

Rex took a step forward, whether it to take revenge for Kara, or to see if she was alive, but stopped. In all reality, backup was probably approaching, and he didn't have a lot of time. He would have to take out Coda before he could do anything with Kara.

So he took a step towards the ladder.

Then another one.

And another one.

Until he was at the base of it. 

He watched as Coda picked Kara up, with his right arm holding up her legs and his left under her back.

He watched as Kara's head lolled against Coda's chest.

He watched as blood dripped down her forehead.

He watched as Coda looked down at Kara and crooned, "You and I are going to have so much fun."

He watched as Coda glanced up at him with a wide smile, tucking a strand of Kara's hair behind her ear.

He watched before climbing up out of the bunker, and he swore to take revenge.

For Coda's fallen brothers, who were looking down in disappointment and disgust. For the Republic, who needed loyal soldiers. For Kara, whose chest gently rose and fell, whose black hair had come undone, whose lips he wondered if they'd be as soft as they looked.

I had you with that Rex thing, didn't I.

And I know I say this a lot, but I think this is my new favourite chapter. I'm very proud.