Chapter 8 - Graceland's Greenhouse Effect

Start from the beginning

"Who was the one avoiding who?" I countered. "Why did you suddenly decide to stay inside all day yesterday when it was gorgeous outside? I dare you to lie."

He stepped closer, which made him super close, his nose inches from mine. "I dare you to say that you're not thinkin' it's because of you," he said in a low tone, and I had to gulp.

"Well, wasn't it? You tell me those things in your car after you comforted me, and then you don't show yourself for the whole of the next day? That's a bit cowardly, you know."

His brows creased. "Was it not you who said that you disliked me? I was stayin' away for your own benefit. Unless... you want me to be close to ya. You know what I told ya, that I wanted to kiss ya."

My heart pulsed, and I stepped back. "And you know what I said about that! No, not going to happen. I say you talk to Cilla and tell her that you two are staying together. You're a fool if you let her go."

"I'd say I'm a fool if I keep 'er imprisoned here. Plus, she knows that I like ya. I think she's through with me fallin' for other women."

He was staring at me with those stern blue eyes of his, and they were somewhat enchanting. What could I say here? He told me again that he had feelings for me. Was I the fool for not accepting him? Any other girl would jump at this opportunity.

He stepped closer to me, and I backed up. Before I could protest, he turned me around and pressed me against the back door. He said nothing as he leaned down closer to my face, and my heart was speeding away, and my whole head was starting to sear with heat. He was going to kiss me if I didn't stop him.

Did I want him to?

Elvis's mouth came closer and closer to mine, and I held my breath. He was really going to kiss me! This was really happening. But I told him I didn't want to be kissed by him. Him... a good guy who sang well and was extremely handsome. And who was extremely famous.

I turned my head, pushed him away, and escaped his presence. I ran around the house, passed Dad, and to my car. I got inside and started down the driveway. Why did I have to promise that I wouldn't quit?

~ ~ ~

The greenhouse itself was up, and I stood there as the men made the finishing touches, like washing the glass. It wasn't a huge structure, maybe thirty by twenty feet, and it was maybe twenty feet tall at the point since it was shaped like a house. Once Sam comes back after she gets over what almost happened between her and Elvis, she would be thrilled to see this. But would she come back?

"Elvis, you sure are impulsive," I muttered as I heard voices that weren't the men that were working on the greenhouse since they had walked away.

"So, what do you think, Cilla? Nice, huh?"

"I suppose, but I'm not going to be here to see it fully finished and full of plants."

I looked around the corner of this see-through structure and saw Elvis and his beautiful girlfriend standing near it, her long hair down, and she was in a purple dress that went to her knees. "Don't be like that, Cilla."

"Can't I?" Her eyes started to water, and she said emotionally, "I've decided to go. I'll take up your offer to pay for an apartment in Brooklyn where I have some family. I'll be there until my immediate family returns home. I bet they'll be over the moon to find out that I separated myself from you. They were never thrilled about our relationship."

From reading Elvis's thoughts, I knew the whole story. He said, "I know. Well... okay, Cilla. But are you sure? You know that I love you."

"And I love you, but I'm not the only woman you love. I want a man who loves only me and will support my desires."