Chapter Twenty-eight

They'd turned up at Exillium unannounced, but the Coaches were ready for them. They'd changed to strange colors, probably in a way of decoration. The Silver Coach greeted them with a wall of water. The Gold Coach levitated them three feet into the air. The Rosegold Coach blasted them with multicolored light.

Hydrokinetic, Flasher, and something unknown, but the Gold Coach was evidently good at levitation.

Until she tried fighting against Savi's levitation and found herself severely outmatched. Savi hurled the Gold Coach thirty feet up and caught her just before she crashed, leaving the Gold Coach shaken.

Cerulean gripped Savi's hand. It was turning slightly red from anger, but she noticed too and got it under control, fading it back to a normal color. Her eyes narrowed as she faced the Rosegold Coach.

The Silver Coach held up a hand while the Rosegold Coach went to see if the Gold Coach was alright. "We are the Silver, Gold, and Rosegold Coaches, but we have adopted names to shorten our titles. You may call me Silva, and she is Goldie, and the last one is Rosalind, but we call her Rosa." The Silvery Coach's eyes darkened. "We may have rectified Exillium, but Sophie Foster has changed it too much that some students still share names," she said distastefully.

Savi exchanged a glance with Cerulean.

"No friends," Rosalind added.

Silva nodded as well, and Goldie got up from where she'd been dropped by Savi. "I was named after a flaming bird," she said ruefully.

Savi didn't get that joke, but Silva gave a dry laugh. "Well then, you two had better get to your dorms. Boys there, girls there." She pointed at the girl's dormitaries. "You have a long day ahead of you tomorrow - no friends."

"No friends," Rosalind and Goldie echoed.

"Always alone, always alone," Rosalind chanted, and around, the people of Exillium took up the cry.

Savi fell asleep to the unwelcoming sound of 'always alone, always alone', feeling more alone than ever.

She awoke in the cold, her blanket no more than a thin satin sheet, and she got up, shivering, wishing she had some warmth. Around her, people fought for blankets, but they'd left her alone. Stories of what she'd done to the Gold Coach had spread.

Savi didn't want to be mean, but she didn't want to freeze to death either. causally, she took someone's blanket away with telekinesis.

The person awoke at once, looking round, before her eyes fell on her and sparked with anger.

"Hey, you!" the girl shouted, causing several others to jump. "Who do you think you are?"

She almost said her name but stopped. "I'm someone you don't want to mess with," Savi answered casually.

"Well, I'm Ziphora," the girl snapped.

Who? Zarina, the Councilor? Oh, Ziphora. That was a strange name, Savi thought.

"Ziphora," Savi repeated. The name felt like ice on her tongue.

"But, Lady Ziphora to you," Ziphora went on.

Savi shrugged. "You don't look noble to me. You're in Exillium, aren't you?"

Just then, the Rosegold Coach, Rosalind, barged in. "No talking! No friends!" she snarled.

Ziphora froze, her hand crackling with electricity, but Rosalind retaliated with a burst of blinding light. Savi's entire body turned black in an attempt to repel the light.

"Shade!" Ziphora shouted, flailing backwards and crashing into one of the other girls who shoved Ziphora off her.

"You think," Savi sneered.