243. Fire and Gold (7)

The longer Ani and Ranch took to return, the more awkward and uncomfortable our situation became. It quickly became clear that the original plan was for Cove and I to leave immediately upon finishing the portal. Tezcatlipoca wasn't necessarily angry about the delay–he hadn't done much to stop Ranch and Ani from taking off in the first place, but with each passing hour, the lines of tension beneath his skin pulled tighter. The more impatient he got, the dimmer the day grew. Even Cove eventually fell quiet.

Noticing our looks of longing toward the outdoors, Tezcatlipoca eventually kindly explained that according to El Dordian security protocol, neither Cove nor I were permitted to 'explore the city beyond the bounds of our mission.' Despite our convincing arguments otherwise, we were forced to stay inside the dimming room until our familiars returned.

Eventually, the reds and brilliant oranges of the evening began to twist through the windows and the cracks in the door, setting the inside aflame.

Finally, there was a loud, ear-grating sound of claws scraping against metal, followed by an annoyed yowl I recognized as Ani's. Ani and Ranch had returned. Cove and I leaped from our warm indentations on the couch as Tezcatlipoca yanked open the door, letting our wayward cats saunter into the room, their tails flicking playfully. I smothered a smile, forcing a stern expression onto my face that Ani rightfully ignored. Out of the corner of my eye, Cove's lips twisted up slightly.

Tezcatlipoca pulled the door open until the handle was flush against the wall. With a raised eyebrow, he bent down to look at the door. Light from the dimming magic lamps that hovered above the ceiling caught several light scratches on the gold molding of the door. Ranch received a bop on the nose from Cove for her part, and Ani received a gentle thwack on the head.

Too gentle, as he arched up beneath my hands as though I'd patted him, rumbling against my chest.

At the door, Tezcatlipoca dropped down onto his knees. Leaning forward, he pressed his hands along the damage, running his palms along the marks. The scratches disappeared beneath his touch. With the damage repaired, he rose to his feet again and stared.

Cove smiled sheepishly. "Sorry about those clawful marks," he said, masterfully working the pun in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

Tezcatlipoca continued to stare. As the joke set in, his expression shifted from tense to startled surprise. His lips even quirked up in the span of a blink.

Cove's jokes, it seemed, accomplished more than just annoying me.

Tezcatlipoca lightly rested his long and knobby fingers on the door's molding. When he spoke again, his posture was far more relaxed, betraying the tension that had set in over the day. "It was a simple fix." Using the flat of his palm in place of his pointer finger, he pointed outside the door. "You've been stuck in here all day. I'm sure you're anxious to get home."

His eyes flicked toward me. "If either of you needs, I can help with your return to Ventosus."

It was a polite way of kicking us out. My hands clenched at my sides at the subtle dig at my magical abilities, but I refused to show it.

Planning to use Ani's memories to explore the city, I was about to give in when Cove unexpectedly asked, "Can we get dinner before we go? Hunger is clawing at my stomach."

Hesitantly, I bolstered him with my support. "Me as well."

Tezcatlipoca's eyes softened, and his faint smile turned a bit sad. "You're welcome to grab a snack before you go. It would be best if you ate your meal when you return home." His fingers tightened on the door.

Cove huffed out a small sigh.

"I am sorry," Tezcatlipoca added sincerely.

"We understand." I adjusted Ani so his claws weren't digging painfully into my shoulder, and then we were trudging along the familiar path for the final time that day. As we passed, a few El Dordians shot us angry glares. I was a bit taken aback at first, wondering where this newfound hatred had come from before Ranch lept out of Cove's arms, and I realized our cats were the subject of their dislike. As if he read my thoughts, Ani curled a tail around the base of my neck, looking like the cat who'd caught the canary. I hastened my steps a bit, more curious regarding his antics than ever.

When the bright purple lights–courtesy of Tezcatlipoca–of the portal faded, a dark shadow crossed in front of the open doorway, inhuman eyes catching the fading light. I jumped.

Cove laughed, and there was a slight thump as Ani jumped from his shoulders to the ground, his tail swishing.

At this point, I should have expected this type of behavior from both of them.

I exited the portal room to the sound of Cove receiving numerous texts. The hallway was set aglow by the light of his screen, the sound of the artificial keyboard clicking as Cove typed. His free hand reached out to stop me when I attempted to move past.

"If you're up for it, father wants to see us."

My plans of interrogating Ani before our report to Jacob crumbled like dust.

"Very well." I agreed.

Misunderstanding my reluctance, Cove said, "It shouldn't take too long."

"I know."

The two of us were creaking open the door to Jacob's office less than a quarter hour later. Jacob impatiently waved us up to the desk, our favorite chairs across from him.

"Another job well done, I assume?" He questioned with a proud smile.

Cove and I exchanged an uncertain look.

"The portal construction went smoothly," Cove explained to his father. "However...that man messed with the portal again."

Jacob's pleasant smile was wiped from his face, replaced by furrowed brows and an angry scowl. His nails drummed loudly against the solid wood desk. "Was it the same person?"

"We think so, yes," Cove said.

I interjected, quickly summarizing what had happened and everything we'd discussed with Tezcatlipoca.

"I see." The drumming stopped. e shifted to face me. "Each time we speculate his intentions might oppose ours, you become unnaturally silent. We've been cautious, but for some reason, you seem to have faith in this man. I trust your judgment, Hayden. If you believe he can be reasoned with, I do as well. You'll be connecting more ancient cities in the future. Use the opportunity to establish friendly," he shot a pointed glare at Cove, "contact."

Cove's ears turned pink, and he shifted in his seat. I couldn't tell if he was unsatisfied or embarrassed. Perhaps it was both. Regardless, he agreed to his father's suggestion. Guilt pricked at my heart as well. I'd been the one to raise the alarm, in my panic acting as rashly as Cove.

"Now," Jacob continued, sliding manilla files across his smooth desk. "Your next mission..."

With curious hands, I pried open the folder. At the sight of the next world title, my hands began to shake, a combination of fear, nervousness, and excitement.

What were the odds?

I was going to meet my childhood hero; I was going to meet my childhood nightmare.

Sorry about the long wait between chapters recently! I had a severe cut in hours ( all of my coworkers got the same or worse hits). Contrary to what you'd probably expect, this meant I had less time to write because I was too busy applying to every job under the sun so I could start a new job quickly enough to pay my bills next month. Then of course came job interviews, and this last week I stupidly decided it was fine to work three jobs (I mean, I needed the money so it wasn't stupid but I do feel bad for the hit it took to my writing time).

Next week I will also be working three jobs, but after that, I'll be back down to two jobs (and will be making a little more money!) and will be able to get on a more regular schedule again!!!

Sorry again! But also rejoice in that I'll be able to get a set schedule again in a couple of weeks!