227 - Puzzles

I tugged the cuffs of my blazer down my wrists, sleepy and distracted. Staring down at the tiny black veins that ran through the floor, it took me a moment to notice my doubling vision. I paused and took a second to press my palms against my exhausted eyes. I lifted my palms and opened my eyes once more, and the dimly lit window on the other side of the street came into focus.

A shadowed figure glanced out, meeting my eyes briefly. Hastily, they stepped back and dropped the curtains in front of the window. I frowned, something about the situation flipping a warning switch in my head.

I shook my head clear of the warning, attributing the sense to my exhaustion. Many people, I was sure, preferred not to be spied on in the middle of the night.

Still, I noticed an odd, fearful weight over the city. The few individuals out so late at night walked speedily past, their eyes darting in every direction. Open windows were quickly slammed shut, and even office curtains were drawn down tight. Ani, either sensing my growing concern or the source of the darkness clouding the city, pulled in tight, winding himself so tightly between my feet that he unbalanced me more than a few times.

Blinking blearily, I realized that the mystery of this fearful city would have to be solved in the morning when I could think of more than placing one foot in front of the other. My discussion with Cove had burned through the last vestiges of my energy reserves, dragging me into a crash.

Rather than use my energy, I pulled from the stored power in the portal to send myself home, cruising as I opened my eyes to the wrong portal room. My fingernails bit into my skin as I teleported again–this time to the proper location.

Inside my apartment, I dropped my shoes next to the door, tripping over my feet as I headed straight for the bedroom. Knees pressed up against the edge of the bed, I let myself fall face first–and fully clothed–onto the bed, passing out as soon as my head struck the pillow.

My dreams that night were as odd and heavy as the weighted atmosphere of Ventosus, filled with impossible puzzles consisting of ever-changing pieces. Holding the delicate pieces like glass in my hands, I tried to piece them together as best I could. However, some pieces had previously been shoved in places they didn't fit. They crumbled slightly as I carefully pried them from their unsuitable spot, trying to hold them together as I replaced them with pieces that fit properly.

The puzzles contained a billion pieces, and I held only a few. I clicked one into place, the puzzle warm to the touch.

When I woke, I sucked in the lingering scent of dusty books and sneezed. Ani startled, leaping out of bed and scurrying across the apartment, his feet pounding against the floor. I rolled over, pressing my face deep into the pillow in hopes that it would devour me, but I was already awake. I shivered beneath my covers, my chest feeling cold and oddly empty.

The dust fluttered in the air through the tiny rays of sunlight that snuck in through the blinds and the curtains I'd pulled tightly over the windows. The angle of the rays informed me I'd only gotten a few hours of sleep, but I knew any more would be elusive.

My phone dinged, and I flopped my hand over it, yanking it closer by the cord to check the notification. It was a text from Cove, a short, direct message that indicated he hadn't forgotten our conversation last night.

Meeting @ 3PM

I clicked out of it without responding, finding a message from Ember this morning.

Wanna get coffee? My treat

A decent cup of coffee sounded like the perfect way to get myself moving this morning. I swung my legs over the edge of the bed as my thumbs moved nimbly over the touch keyboard, messaging Ember back. I was ready and gone within minutes of waking up, the wrinkles in my sweater covered up by the heavy coat I tossed on to protect myself from the cold. My wallet, keys, and phone I vanished into my inventory, taking delight in my weightless pockets and the knowledge that any potential mugger wouldn't be able to access my money ever again.

The wind whipped painfully against my face as I powered past my elderly neighbor and her son on the street, flipping up my hood and pretending I hadn't noticed them.

Outside of Ava's Books and Coffee, I paused with my breath clouding before my face and looked up at the painted letters. My lips fell into a frown as I recalled the comparisons made last night between our travels and hers and the placement of specific individuals on the throne. The expression I'd caught on Cove's face as I had walked out flashed across my eyes, and my stomach churned.

The faint scent of coffee that wafted from the door must have made me hungry.

Ava paused on the other side of the door, her hair in a loose braid and a tray clutched tightly against her side, the same way Cove had clutched the book against his. She smiled, her eyes crinkling as she lifted her free hand to beckon me in.

The churning in my stomach worsened. I swallowed and stepped into the pleasantly warm coffee shop, spotting Ember at our usual table, her head bent over an open book. I greeted Ava with a request for coffee and dropped into the chair across from Ember, patiently waiting for her to finish the page she was on.