XII

Scott sighed.
"Wallace I can't help you if you don't tell me what I did wrong."

"Well, maybe I don't want your help."

"I'm not just gonna leave you here to sulk about some mystery problem."

"I didn't say you had to leave. We just went over this."
Wallace lifted his head to look at Scott.

"Well, I'm not going to be able to enjoy the day when I know you're upset about something I did!"

"How do you know it's your fault? Not everything revolves around you y'know."

"I know that! It's just that you had such a sudden switch when we were skating it had to have been something I did!"

"Just shut up!"

"Wallace!"

"Scott."

"Listen. I'm sorry for getting all defensive on you guy. It's nothing you did. I swear. I just interpreted something you said weirdly. That's all."

"It's fine... What was it? If you don't mind me asking."

Wallace visibly tensed up and looked away. He wanted to tell him but then he would've had to tell Scott why it bothered him so much.

"I don't really feel like explaining right now."

"Let's just move on then. I don't want to spoil this whole day over a little thing. Okay?"

Wallace nodded and started eating the now-cold pizza Scott had ordered for him.

Scott still felt a little uneasy about the whole situation so he tried to hold Wallace's hand again. This time he didn't pull away which was nice.

"I just don't want you to be upset about something I said. I say stupid things I don't mean all the time."

"...That you don't mean?"

"Yeah! Like, that one time I told you I hated you during an argument, you knew I didn't mean it."

"Yeah. But sometimes you mean them, right?"

"Usually I don't."

"Oh."

Wallace had lost his appetite. He pushed the plate away a bit and just sat there. He was getting such mixed messages from Scott that he didn't know how to feel.

Scott basically confessed to him. But then he said he didn't mean it. But he's also holding his hand. So.

But today wasn't about him. He was supposed to make Scott feel better after that falling out with Ramona. Not throw a pity party for himself because of one tiny comment.

But that comment meant the world to him. Even if it is just false hope.

"Do'ya wanna go skate again?" Scott asked.

Suddenly being broken out of his daydreaming session, Wallace jumped slightly, but agreed nonetheless.

"That's okay with me."

"Okay!!"

Scott pulled Wallace up by their intertwined hands and dragged him back to the entrance of the rink.

"Did you just leave the skates here?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't- Whatever. Let's just put them on." Wallace said with a smile.

The two boys put on their skates. Of course, Wallace was the first on the ice, pulling Scott on after him.

"Can you let go? I want to try to do this myself."

"Let go?"

"Let go."

"..."

A/N

PLEASE DONT BASH MY WINDOWS OPEN IM SO SORRY OHMYGOSH BPWLPSOSHSAPPSPPELWLWLEL IM ON MY KNEES IM SO SORRY FOR TAKING AGES