Definitely NOT Crown Prince Duties

Callisto POV

I heard a rustle of a bush. Usually I wouldn't pay it any mind but no one was supposed to be here. I raised my sword, ready to defend myself from whatever kind of assassin the Second Queen sent. She had been sending all kinds of attacks after me since I was eight. I learned to check for poisoned food the hard way.

"Show yourself before I find you," I threatened. Now, there was the possibility that I was just hearing things, but it was better safe than sorry. Finally, out from the trees came out none other than the son of the devil herself.

"I-I wanted to give this t-to," instead of finishing his sentence he shoved a (badly) wrapped present in my hands. It was poorly done with crushed paper and wasn't neat at all.

"What is it?"

"I-it's a gift for you, brother. I know your birthday is coming is a week but I wanted to give it in advance," he said. I raised one of my eyebrows at how he addressed me. He started to apologize before I dismissed him with a wave of my hand. His shoulders slumped in relief. While it was amusing to see him act so nervous, I was curious about the gift. Carefully, I opened it, far away from my face, so it wouldn't affect me as bad if it was poison. Even if he was only six years old, there was no telling that the Second Queen was against killing an eleven year old with a poisoned gift, right?

Without further judgment, I opened it. I couldn't help but let out a small gasp at the content. How could I? It was a brooch my late mother owned. It was a gold dragonfly shaped pendant with so many intricate flowers, I only recognized a single rose.

"I- Thank you, brother." He looked so genuinely happy at my gratefulness, it almost made me forget who his mother was. Snap out of it! I observed my surroundings only to find that the one I was thanking disappeared. What on Earth?

"Do you not like it?"

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

"Oh, it's you," I said once I calmed down.

"I'm sor-," he didn't get to finish his sentence before I hugged him. While I was exhausted, I did do it on purpose.

"Thank you, I love it."