one

"Karina! Go to Mrs. Lee and take her blood pressure!"

"Karina! Just make sure that Mr. Kang takes his meds!"

"Karina, can you take a look at Mr. Hwang for a second?"

"Karina!"

"Karina—"

"Karina—"

Karina slumped herself on the rest chair behind the ward's counter with a heavy sigh, feeling extremely exhausted from her eight hours straight work today. Seriously? Why did she become so kind to Aeri that she told her she would cover her rounds today? Somehow, she regretted her kind offer.

She turns the chair to her left and right, trying to amuse herself from her exhaustion. She looked at her phone screen, showing it was almost eleven at night which also mean that Aeri would come soon to cover her rounds, and Karina could take her leave.

Then, the sound of someone running from the ward's hallway surprised the girl, only to see that her friend finally came back with an apologetic smile on her face.

"Rina! Gosh! I'm sorry, I'm late!", the Japanese said as she wiped the sweat on her forehead with her forearm. "Ningning was being super clingy just now. I'm really sorry that you took three hours from my shift".

"You should be glad that you are my friend, Aeri. And you should be glad that Ningning is also my friend. Also, you should be glad too that today is Ningning's birthday, or I might kill you, for real!", Karina swinging her hand to her neck, threatening the Japanese.

The girl then stood up from her seat as she put her phone inside her uniform pocket. "I'm gonna leave. Good luck with work", she lifted one of her hands in the air, bidding her goodbye as she walked away happily towards the locker room.

"Thanks, buddy! I'll treat you for your kindness today! Bye!"

*****

As soon as Karina arrived at her apartment, she threw herself on her bed with a big smile on her face. Finally, some time to recharge and rest before she starts her rounds again at two in the evening.

Karina rolled her body on her comfy mattress as she scrolled down her phone. The lights were already out since it was almost twelve at night, and before she could sleep, a chat popped up on her screen. It was from no other than her boyfriend, Jeno.

Jeno
Did you get home? How was work today?

A smile formed on her face as she typed her replies, but before she could hit the send button, rustling sounds from the next door startled her for a short second. But soon she realized that it might be her new neighbor, trying to clean up some stuff.

Karina
Yes, I did! I'm on the bed! Work is pretty tiring since Aeri asked me to cover some of her shifts. It's Ningning's birthday today. I couldn't say no for the couple to have some of their time.

Karina
I guess my new neighbor just moved in. I heard sounds from next door. Probably unpacked some things?

She hit the send button again, followed by a sudden rustling sound from the next door again. As she waited for her boyfriend's reply, the sound of glass shattering, also from the next door startled her to death.

"Gosh! My heart almost stopped! Can't she be a bit gentle with her stuff?"

The notification sound from her phone brings her attention away from the sound from the next door. With a light sigh, Karina unlocked back her phone to see his reply.