17. recovered and practice

A day or two later, the doctor entered the room with a reassuring smile. "Well, Shubman, I have good news. Your recovery has been faster than expected. You're fit to go back to the field and start practicing whenever you feel ready."

Shubman's eyes lit up with a mix of surprise and joy. "Really? That's incredible news!" Nandhini, sitting beside him, couldn't contain her happiness, a wide smile breaking across her face.

The doctor nodded. "Just take it easy initially, and gradually increase the intensity. But overall, you're on the right track."

As the doctor left, Shahneel gave them a knowing smile, understanding the significance of the moment. "I'll give you two some space," she said, exiting the room.

Left alone, Shubman turned to Nandhini, a gleam of excitement in his eyes. Without a word, he pulled her into a tight hug, the relief and happiness evident in the embrace. Nandhini, feeling the warmth of his gratitude, reciprocated the hug.

As they lingered in the embrace, the weight of the past few days seemed to lift off Shubman's shoulders. Finally, he pulled back, holding Nandhini at arm's length, his hands resting on her shoulders. The joy in his eyes was mirrored in hers.

"I can't believe I'm going back to the field so soon," Shubman expressed, his voice filled with genuine gratitude. "I can't wait" he squealed making her laugh. "Did I just squeal?" he asked surprised making her laugh more. "But things apart, I can't wait" he smiled.

Nandhini chuckled, brushing a strand of hair away from his forehead. Shubman leaned in, his lips softly pressing against hers. The kiss was a celebration of the good news, an acknowledgment of the challenges they had overcome together. 

As they parted, Shubman's eyes locked onto Nandhini's. "Thank you," he answered.

Nandhini smiled, her fingers tracing the lines of his face. "Thank you for what?" she asked. "For being with me" he answered making her smile.

The nurse entered with a smile on her face. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I came here to inform you that Shubman can switch into his comfy clothes," she spoke. "YES MY SWEATPANTS!" He yelled making Nandhini and Nurse Ayesha laugh.

The sun cast a warm glow on the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad as Shubman Gill walked onto the practice field. The anticipation of the India vs Pakistan match hung in the air, and the atmosphere buzzed with a mixture of excitement and focus. Shubman took a deep breath, savoring the feeling of being back on the field.

Rohit Sharma, the captain, greeted Shubman with a hearty pat on the back. "Glad to have you back, Shubman. Let's make this practice count." Shubman grinned, "Absolutely, Skipper. I've been waiting for this."

As the team geared up for practice, Shubman felt a surge of energy. The familiar sound of bat hitting ball – it all felt like coming home. He took his position, facing the bowlers with a determined look. The sound of leather meeting willow echoed through the stadium as Shubman started his practice session.