Chapter 13

The  morning  started  miserably  for  one  girl.  Not  only  had  Sophie gotten
zero sleep, but now she was back in their mismatched schools for another
day of despicable classes. Even worse, she couldn't understand the answer to
the School Master's riddle, even when something was familiar.
And if all this wasn't bad enough, their Hobgoblin Debacle had become the
talk of both schools.
In  Uglification,  Sophie  tried  to  ignore  all  the  snickers  and  focus  on Manley's  lecture  about  the  proper  use  of  capes.  This  took  valiant concentration, given Hester's vengeful glares and the fact that capes could be used for protection, invisibility, disguise, or flight, depending on their fabric  and  grain,  with  each  type  requiring  different  incantations.  Manley
blindfolded  the  students  for  the  class  challenge,  where  students  raced  to identify their given cape's fabric and successfully put it to use.
"I didn't know magic was so complicated," Hort murmured, massaging his cape to see if it was silk or satin.
"And  this  is  just  capes,"  Dot  said,  smelling  hers.  "Wait  until  we  do
spells!"
But if there was one thing Sophie knew, it was clothes. She recognized snakeskin  under  her  fingers,  mentally  said  the  incantation,  and  went invisible under her slinky black cape. The feat earned her another top rank and  a  look  from  Hester  so  lethal  Sophie  thought  she  might  burst  into flames.
Across the moat, poor Agatha and her friends couldn't turn a corner without seeing Tedros and
his  mates  mimicking  hobgoblin  lurches,  howling  gibberish,  and  beating
each  other  with  squashes.  Wherever  she  went,  Tedros  and  company
followed, braying and grunting at the top of their lungs.
Beatrix, Crystal, Kiko, and of course Agatha had enough.

Agatha snatched a squash and jabbed Tedros in the chest with it.
"The only reason this happened is because you chose ME! Stop being so dramatic!"
Tedros gaped dumbly as she and her friends stormed off.
"You chose Agatha?" asked Chaddick.
Tedros turned to find boys staring. "No, I—she tricked—I didn't—" He pulled his sword. "Who wants to fight?"
With  Hansel's  Haven  still  in  ruins,  classes  were  moved  to  the  tower
common rooms. Agatha followed a herd of Evers through the Breezeways linking all the Good towers in a zigzag of colorful glass passages high over the  lake.  While  crossing  a  purple  breezeway  to  Charity,  Agatha and her friends fot distracted and lost the crowds.

After several turns through the supper hall, a sneak excursion to the Groom Room, (Kiko's Idea)  and a slight mishap on Valor Tower, ( How was Crystal to know there was boys there?) They finally tracked down the Charity Commons. The pink chaise couches were already full. But as Agatha and her friends came in, all the girls stood up and offered their couches.

Blushing, Agatha sat at one of the couches with her friends.

"So, how's that boy you wished for?" Crystal asked.
"Tristan?" Kiko's face fell. "He likes Beatrix. Every boy likes Beatrix or Agatha . But that was before the Hobgoblin Challenge."
"But he gave you his rose," Agatha said, remembering her wish at the lake.
"By accident. I jumped in front of Beatrix to catch it." Kiko gave Beatrix a dirty look. "Do you think he'll take me to the Ball? Not every boy can take that she-wolf."
Crystal giggled. But Agatha frowned. "What ball?"
"The Evers Snow Ball! It's right before Christmas and every one of us has to find a boy to take us or we're failed! We get ranked as couples based on  our  presentation,  demeanor,  and  dancing.  Why  do  you  think  we  all wished for different boys at the lake? Girls are practical like that. Boys just all want the prettiest one." Kiko grinned.

"Who do you have your eye on?"

Before  Agatha  could  reply,  the  doors  flew  open  and  a  busty  woman
flounced  in  wearing  a  bejeweled  red turban  and  scarf  that  matched  her
dress, caked caramel makeup, swarthy kohl around her eyes, Gypsy hoop
earrings, and jangling tambourine bracelets.
"Umm . . . Professor Anemone?" Agatha gawked.
"I am Scherezade," Professor Anemone boomed in a ridiculous accent.
"Queen  of  Persia.  Sultaness  of  the  Seven  Seas.  Behold  my  dusky  desert
beauty."
She  whipped  off  her  scarf  and  did  a  terrible  belly  dance.  "See  how  I
seduce you with my hips!"  She  veiled  her  face  and  blinked  like  an  owl.
"See how I tempt you with my eyes!" She shook her bosom and beat her bangles noisily. "See how I become Midnight's
Temptress!"

"More like smoked kebab," Crystal murmured.

Kiko giggled.

Professor Anemone's smile vanished, as did the accent. "Here I thought I'd teach you to survive 1001 Arabian Nights—dune-ready makeup, hegira fashions,  even  a  proper  Dance  of  the  Seven  Veils—but  perhaps  I  should start with something less amusing." She tightened her turban.
"Fairies  have  alerted  me  that  candy  has  been  vanishing  from  Hansel's Haven even while it is under repair. As you know, our school's classrooms are made of candy as a reminder of all the temptations that you will face beyond our gates." Her eyes narrowed. "But we know what happens to girls who eat candy. Once they start, they can't stop. They stray from the path.
They fall prey to witches. They gorge themselves on self-pleasure until they
die obese, unmarried, and riddled with warts."
The girls were aghast someone would vandalize the tower, let alone ruin
their  figure  with  candy.  Agatha looked around just  as  scandalized.  That's
when the marshmallows fell out of an unfortunate girl's pocket, followed by a blue lollipop, a hunk of gingerbread, and two bricks of fudge. Twenty gasps came at once.
"I  didn't  have  time  for  breakfast!"  that girl  insisted.  "I  didn't  eat  all
night!"
But no one was sympathetic, not including Agatha, who was amazed that someone would do that.
"You'll be cleaning plates after supper for next two weeks, Coraline," said
her  professor.  "A  useful  reminder  of  the  one  thing  princesses  have  that
villains do not."
"A proper diet," Professor Anemone huffed.

"How about poison in her food?" Hester spat.
"She doesn't eat," said Anadil, tramping with her through Malice Hall.
"How about poisoned lipstick?"
"They'll lock us in the Doom Room for weeks!" fretted Dot, lumbering to
keep up.
"I don't care how we do it or how much trouble we get in," Hester hissed.
"I want that snake gone."
She threw open the door to Room 66 to find Sophie sobbing on her bed.
"Um, snake's crying," Anadil said.
"Are  you  okay,  love?"  Dot  asked,  suddenly  sorry  for  the  girl  she  was
supposed to kill.
Blubbering,  Sophie  poured  out everything  that  happened  in  the  School
Master's tower.
". . . But now there's a riddle and I don't know the answer and Tedros thinks  I'm  a  witch  because  I  keep  winning challenges  and  no  one understands the reason I keep winning is that I'm good at everything!"
Hester was ready to strangle her right there. Then her face changed.
"This riddle. If you answer it . . . you go home?"
Sophie nodded.
"And we never have to see you again?" said Anadil.
Sophie nodded.
"We'll solve it," her roommates pounced.
"You will?" Sophie blinked.
"You know how badly you want to go home?" said Hester.
"We want you to go home more," said Anadil.
"Well, at least you believe me," Sophie frowned, wiping tears.
"Guilty until proven innocent," Hester said. "It's the Never way."
"I wouldn't tell any of this to an Ever, though. They'll think you're mad
as a hatter," said Anadil.
"That's what I thought, but who lies about breaking so many rules?" Dot
said,  failing  to  turn  her  swan  crest  to  chocolate.  "Really,  this  bird  is
incorrigible."
"What's the School Master like?" Hester asked Sophie.
"He's old. Very, very old."
"And you actually saw the Storian?" Anadil asked.
"That strange pen? It wrote about us the whole time."
"It what?" said the three girls at once.
"But you're in school!" Hester said.
"What can happen in school that's worthy of a fairy tale?" said Anadil.
"I'm sure it's just a mistake, like everything else," Sophie sniffled. "I just need to solve the riddle, tell the School Master, and poof, I'm out of this cursed place. Simple."
She saw the girls exchange looks. "Isn't it?"
"There's  two  puzzles  here,"  Anadil  said,  eyeing  Hester.  "The  School
Master's riddle."
Hester turned to Sophie. "And why he wants you to solve it."