Chapter 2

Ivy stepped onto the plane, feeling butterflies in her stomach. What would happen when she got back to her home town? Would everyone remember her? She bit her fingernails, something she always did when she was nervous.  

Aunt Sarah was an amazing woman, and Ivy knew that she could come to Sarah during any time of need. Then Ivy got to thinking, how could someone as sick and twisted as her mother be related to someone so amazing and gentle like Sarah? It was beyond her. 

When Ivy thought of her mother, every part of her body began to burn. She thought of all those nights she was scared, all those times she had run to Ryan. Then she thought of the night she had stood up to her mother for the first time, that night she was beaten mercilessly. She scanned over all the scars that were left on her arms that her mother decided to mark her with. She was getting sick, she had to stop thinking about the she-devil. 

To escape the horrific thoughts, she started to listen to her iPod. To Ivy, music was a great escape. After a while the plane took off, and Ivy fell asleep...

Ivy was awakened by someone shaking her softly. She opened her eyes to see an old man with a small smile. "Hey, we're almost landing, I thought I'd wake you up, miss." Ivy smiled back at him.

"Thanks."

He stuck a hand out, "I'm Abraham. Oh, and no problem, just being polite. It's horrible when you're stressing to find your things." Ivy shook his hand and nodded in agreement.

"I'm Ivy, mind if I call you Abe?" 

"Not at all! Say, where's the rest of your family? You seem a little young to be traveling by yourself!" He replied, scanning the plane seats. Ivy's stomach dropped at hearing the word family. She didn't have much of one.

"I'm traveling alone, Abe. I don't have any other family on the plane. Do you have anybody traveling with you?" Ivy was never one to be shy, she figured she might as well make a friend on the plane. He chuckled softly and beamed down at her. 

"Actually, no. I was planning on having my wife with me today, but-but I lost her recently. You see," he cleared his throat, "we were traveling all the 50 states. Pennsylvania was the last one. We've been planning this for months."

Ivy put a hand on his shoulder and smiled reassuringly. "I'm sorry to hear that, but I think it's amazing that you're finishing what you guys sought out to do. That's really sweet." His eyes brightened and he nodded his head.

"My wife always said quotes about going to new places. My favorite was one by Henry Miller; 'One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.' I couldn't agree more." Ivy thought about the quote and also had to agree, that was spot on. It inspired her to look at leaving Pam and Craig and the others back in California in a different way. 

"Thanks for sharing that with me," she chuckled. The rest of the flight the two chatted, and Ivy was truly inspired. It turned out that Abraham's best friend from childhood was still his best friend that very day. He reminded her of herself, he was outgoing, hopeful, and had a wild imagination. She hoped that she and Ryan would be just like he and his friend, even if she knew she and Ryan had certainly changed. 

When they landed, Ivy struggled through the airport. She, however, kept all of the wise words Abraham had told her in her mind. Soon she found Sarah and her fat husband, Frank. Ivy hated Frank with every fraction of her body. He was fat and lazy, and Ivy didn't think he treated Sarah very well.

"Oh my god, my little Ivy Queen!" Sarah wrapped her arms around Ivy and spun her around. "I've missed you like a mama bear misses her cub! Jesus, I can't believe I'm seeing you in person!" Ivy chuckled at hearing the old nickname, 'Ivy Queen'.

"Same here, Aunt Sarah. God, it's been forever, hasn't it?" Ivy pulled away from her aunt and smiled. When she glanced back at Frank, the smile disappeared.

"Hey, Frank, do me a favor and don't eat me while I'm here. I know how hungry you get sometimes!" She watched as Frank glared at her, and saw her aunt trying to hold back a laugh. She smirked, "you know I'm joking, Fatty- I mean Frank!"

Ivy looked back at her aunt and started to catch up with her. They got in the car, and were heading to Sarah's home.

When they got there, Ivy quickly ran into the house. She had so many happy memories here. When Ivy was smaller, she knew this place was a safe zone. Ivy's mother wouldn't hurt her here, and any time there was marks on Ivy's skin, she would make up some ridiculous excuse. Sarah was suspicious at times, but believed her sibling, unfortunately. 

Her Aunt didn't know about the abuse at home when she was younger, the day she found out was the day Ivy's mother was taken by the police. Ivy didn't want to leave her aunt, she wanted to stay, but everyone thought it was more healthy and more safe to leave that state. Ivy couldn't help but think that it was completely unfair.  

"Well, make yourself at home. Remember, school starts next week, you're only 16, you still need an education. How does pizza or chinese sound?" 

Ivy started to walk up the stairs to her new room. "Sounds perfect." She felt like everything was turning up, that things would be different. She kept thinking of the quote Abraham had told her, and knew it was good to keep in mind.

She wasn't sure where to start with all the unpacking. Something was nagging at her, and it wouldn't go away. She decided she would do something she knew she had to do... She was going to call Ryan.

She pulled out her cell phone, her fingers hovered over the 'call' button on the screen. Surely he has the same number, she thought. She clicked the button. It started to ring and ring and ring.

"Hey, sorry I didn't pick up, leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!" Ivy was shocked. She knew what puberty was, and she knew that everyone went through it. What she didn't know was that her former best friend had a sexy, deep, new voice, that in comparison to his old squeaky voice, was unbelievable. 

Beeeeeeeep. "Uh, hey..." The butterflies in her stomach went crazy, like they were on drugs or something. "Ryan, it's me, Ivy. I'm back in Pennsylvania, I'm with Aunt Sarah. Call me back, 'kay?" 

Ivy hung up and sighed, she didn't understand why it was so hard to say that. She wasn't even talking to the real Ryan, yet she found it hard to speak or to even think of words that made sense. She flopped down on her bed and ignored the massive headache that had just erupted. 

----------------------------------------------------

I understand that this chapter is slow, and I understand that you probably didn't care about Abraham- but honestly, I thought it was adorable :D Hahaha, tell me what you think PLEAAASE! I would like it very much. Comment, Vote, whatever

I dedicate this to 2001ninaali for being the first comment. You don't understand how great that made me feel to hear that you liked this!

Stay beautiful, lovelies!