"You're not touching her," Sire warns quietly, although the deadly bite to his words isn't missed.

"Oh come on, no applause?" Kyro turns around in one place, looking over the crowd, then back at Sire. "I put you to sleep and I made the only way of bringing you back exactly what I would need to end you."

Sire doesn't falter. "And what about the curse?"

"See, this is where I am quite the genius." Kyro rests a hand on his chest. "I gave my witches very specific instructions. They were not to wake me until you had taken over as Alpha, which would require whatever poor relative of mine to expire. Effectively, you've removed one of my problems.  Then, the curse forced you to undergo the bonding ceremony with your mate, which is exactly what I need to finally end you. If you didn't, there would be no more members of your Pack to rule over."

It takes us all a moment to swallow and process that information. Seeing his plan unfolding around us, knowing we have stepped into everyone of his carefully laid traps is beyond disturbing.

"Come up here and fight me, Kyro. I'm done with your grand speeches," Sire growls, motioning up to the stage. "All you ever were was meaningless, empty words."

Kyro is powerful, but Sire is clearly capable of crushing the man with little effort. Now, his magic is stronger than ever too, which may be a detail Kyro failed to consider when concocting this plan.

"And have you rip my throat out in front of all these good people?" Kyro smirks as some people blanch. "No. What I lack in comparable strength, I make up for in intricate planning."

Sire exhales slowly. "Fine. I'll come to you."

"Uh ah, don't move." Kyro holds up his hand before Sire can make even a single step. "Unless of course, you want my witches to kill your mate's pretty little friend."

My eyes widen as the crowd parts some more, revealing two witches standing astride a distraught looking Hazel. They clutch her arms, stoic, bored looks on their faces.

Sire lets out a rough laugh. "That won't stop me."

"Sire...no," I snap, looking at him with pleading eyes.

The conflict is immediately evident in his expression. Right here, in front of him, is the man he desperately wants revenge on. Someone who took everything from him, and he can take back his control with one blast of magic in his direction.

"Don't you get it, sweetheart?" Kryo pulls my attention back to him. "Your mate wants nothing more than power. He never cared for you, for anyone but himself."

Dread pools in my stomach. This was what I was so afraid of...Sire picking his position as Alpha over me, his revenge.

"Don't do this," I beg, looking at my friend whose head is bowed, sweat dampening her dark hair. "It's Hazel..."

The urge to jump off this stage and run for my friend is tugging at my limbs. I refrain, only because Kyro might gut me the moment I'm out of Sire's proximity, which would leave Sire no reason to save my friend.

Sire's jaw tightens. "He's going to kill you if I don't do this."

"We will figure it out. Please," I beg. I don't care if I sound pathetic in front of yet another ancient Alpha who is currently grinning at what is unfolding in front of him.

Sire's expression softens, and he pulls back a step, not falling for Kyro's bait.

"Wow, look at this folks." Kyro sounds genuinely surprised as his gaze sweeps over the frightened crowd. "My old childhood friend sacrificed his spine for a heart. How beautiful."