He walked away from the two to look for a different way up, leaving just Ellie and Fran on their own. He was still in view so he could make sure they were safe, but was looking for anywhere to get them up somewhat safety.

"You mean it?" Fran wasn't expecting Ellie to speak, but knew instantly what she was referring to. Fran looked down at her, before gently lifting her hand and rubbing Ellie's cheek.

"I love you," Fran said softly, "when all is said and done and you've saved the world, you will always have a place with me, scimmietta. I mean it, from the bottom of my heart. Alright?"

Fran was not expecting Ellie to get emotional. She honestly wasn't expecting much at the sentiment. If anything, a nod would've sufficed and an awkward shuffle after Joel. But no.

Ellie was quick to snatch Fran into a hug, arms wrapped so tightly around her waist Fran couldn't breathe. Fran just chuckled, wrapping her arms around Ellie and kissing the top of her head.

"Never thought this would happen when I was asking you to count to ten in Boston, did you?" Fran asked her quietly, to which Ellie just shook her head, eyes closed against her.

Fran let the hug continue for as long as Ellie needed. When they did break, Fran moved a little hair away from Ellie's face and gave her a smile.

"I might've found something," Joel's voice cut them out of their moment, both looking over to see him with his hands on his hips and looking up at the ceiling.

Ellie and Fran both started walking over to him as he stayed staring up at what was above him. Fran gently elbowed Ellie's arm to gain her attention.

"Don't you think Joel does the sassiest little hip pop when he stands like that?" Fran asks her quietly; the response got a huff of a laugh from Ellie. Progress.

What Fran didn't notice is that while she kept walking to Joel, Ellie had become interested on some old papers on a little desk. Planning for the building.

She made it to Joel, him instantly asking, "What were you two gigglin' about?"

"Nothing, paffuto, what have you found?" Fran asked him softly. The nickname, while literally meaning chubby, had began to grow on Joel over the past months. That and Ellie found it amusing, so he put up with it, every once in a while reminding the two that it was muscle mass.

"Look it," Joel said, pointing up above them where there was a ladder just slightly showing from a beam, "Figured I get Ellie up there, she can drop that ladder down, maybe we go through that way."

"Think the floor is safe?" Fran asked him, crossing her arms over herself tightly as she looked up at it.

"Should be," Joel nodded.

"Is that your expert contractor opinion?" Fran asked him, "or just your optimistic opinion."

Joel sent her a small look, before pointing off above where Ellie was standing a little bit away, still looking at the papers, "you see those beams? They make sure this all stays up. We'll be fine."

"Okay," Fran nodded, but she wasn't looking at the beams; she was looking at Ellie. Joel seemed to notice pretty quickly; making his way over to the younger girl with Fran in tow.