Chapter 13

Becca was still deep in thought. She sensed that Freen was keeping something from her, but she couldn't bring herself to force Freen into confessing. There was a purpose behind Freen's secrecy, and Becca needed to ascertain whether she was indeed the missing princess.

"What did the servant say?" Freen inquired as Heng appeared.

"He can guide you to the tavern where some of the assassins linger, but you must tread cautiously. The right hand of Celestial enjoys playing sinister games with people. They seek deals, and they play dirty," Heng explained. "Are you certain about this, Freen?"

"Do I appear weak to you?" Freen raised her brows and rolled her eyes at Heng.

Freen's confidence left Heng astonished. Learning she was the rogue was unexpected. Becca found herself questioning more about Freen's true identity.

"Let's go, Becca," Freen grinned and reached for Becca's hand.

They followed the servant through narrow paths and entered behind closed doors. The servant clarified that using backdoors signaled an interest in the Celestial, not the tavern's libations.

Upon entering, all eyes fixated on Freen and Becca. Some assassins stood and bowed, not for Becca, but for Freen. Doubt crept into Becca's mind, intensifying with each passing moment.

As Freen ordered drinks from the owner, the assassins paid their respects to Freen, not Becca. Doubts grew within Becca as she wondered why Freen, a known rogue, would need assassins to carry out her plans when she could have done it herself.

"Becca! These drinks are amazing. Try this," Freen offered Becca a glass.

"Freen," an assassin approached. "The leader wants to know why you left the Celestial."

Freen glared. "Because he broke his promise. The Celestial's mission, or Syls as it was known before, was to protect the commoners. What happened? You killed most of them."

"He wants you back," the assassin revealed, ignoring Becca, whose mind was on the brink of exploding.

"Can you summon the right hand of Celestial? I need to ask him questions," Freen demanded, taking a sip of her drink.

After Freen wiped her lips, she noticed Becca's furrowed brows. "What?"

"After this, you have to tell me everything, Freen. Otherwise, I won't trust you anymore," Becca sat down, drinking the beer Freen had offered earlier.

"Woah, look who's here?" a guy named Kao approached Freen's side. "I'm the new right hand. What do you want to ask?"

"Who ordered you to kill Becca?" Freen asked bluntly. "I know you don't make decisions on your own. Someone paid you to do it, right?"

"Why should I tell you?" Kao smirked, ordering a mug of beer. "If you were still part of the Celestial, I'd help you. But since you're not, why would I?"

"What do you want in exchange for revealing the information, besides rejoining the Celestial?" Freen inquired, her expression growing serious.

"What about a deal? If you win, I'll tell you where we received the order," Kao suggested with a smirk.

Freen agreed, looking at Becca, who gestured her not to. Heng had warned them about the dirty games these people played, and Becca reached for Freen's hand to stop her from making the deal.

"Don't worry. I've got this," Freen said, kissing Becca's forehead. "And don't stray too far. Please."

Becca was taken aback, sensing a deeper meaning in that kiss. It seemed as though Freen genuinely cared for her.

Freen and Kao went outside to the archery range. "How many arrows?" Freen asked.

"Five. Winner draws first blood," Kao smirked, handing Freen a bow and arrows. "You can hide whenever you want."

Becca joined Freen, but Kao refused, assuring Becca that no harm would come her way. Though hesitant, Freen nodded, fearing for Becca's safety amidst the chaos.

The battle began, with Becca watching as Freen struggled against Kao's swift movements. With just one arrow left, Freen faced an opponent seemingly limitless in supply. Becca couldn't help but worry.

"I expected this," Freen muttered, turning to Becca. "Becca! On your left!"

Swiftly, Becca caught an incoming arrow, her palm bleeding. Freen shouted for them to leave, using the arrows she caught to fend off the assassins. The last arrow had a fabric with a word written on it: "Eldoria."

"The order was from Eldoria. Your killer is from Eldoria," Freen sighed. "Let me see your wound." Tending to Becca's hand, Freen used the fabric from the arrow to wrap it gently.

"I'm sorry," Becca said.

"For what?" Freen asked.

"For doubting you earlier," Becca admitted, lowering her head.

"Just as you said, trust is hard to earn and bestow. I won't ask you to trust me, Becca. But I have one wish," Freen said, looking into Becca's eyes. "Protect yourself at all times. Don't worry about me. Focus on yourself. I don't know what I'd do if you got hurt."