095. all that remains

Start from the beginning

"He's a writer and a professor, and it looks like she got into real estate a few years ago." Derek says.

"'02, before the market crashed." Rossi says.

"Well, 10 years later Judy had an affair with a co-worker, a Jeff Godwin?" JJ says.

"That was discovered in the investigation but never made it in the papers." Blake says.

"Bruce Morrison was a prime suspect, but they never found any evidence and the affair wasn't deemed enough of a motive." Hotch says. "The university's put him on sabbatical since then."

"He's been writing forever, and he's been teaching since 1985." Bedelia says. "Transcript says he was grief stricken and couldn't handle the pressure."

"Not many people could." Rossi says. "The odds of this event striking the same family on the same day must be a billion to one."

"Close enough." Spencer comments.

"Judy inherited money from her family and it's in a trust for the girls." Blake says.

"Ah, jeez, please tell me he did not get rid of his wife for money." JJ says.

"Bank records indicate he hasn't touched the funds, despite the depleting supplemental income from the university." Spencer says.

"Yeah, but it could be a combo platter. Revenge and profit." Rossi says.

"His wife cheated and he retaliated in anger. That might not be a surprise, but that doesn't explain why he would harm his own children." Derek says.

+++

"The oldest daughter, Sera, had a 4.0 GPA, but she didn't apply to a single college back east. She got accepted to Stanford early admission." Spencer says. "Maybe her father saw her going that far away as a form of betrayal."

"The second one in a year." Rossi says. "First his wife of 27 years fools around and then probably threatens to end the marriage. A year later, the daughter can't wait to leave."

"Abandonment could be the common denominator." Blake says.

"There is another possibility." Derek says. "Maybe Bruce Morrison didn't do it. The family have any enemies?"

"The only person that might fit that would be Jeff Godwin." Rossi says.

"Mm, looks like he had a pretty solid alibi the night Judy went missing. He was wining and dining his own wife at a local restaurant." JJ says.

"So the only viable suspect back then was the same one we have now." Blake says.

"All the answers are in that house." Hotch says.

~ ~ ~

They get to the house and all get out.

"Marty Friedman. Thanks for making the trip." The detective says. "We got search and rescue combing the woods and the chop tank and Wicomico Rivers. We're dredging all the way from here to the Chesapeake. I'm not letting this guy get away with it again."

"Has he said why he took a day to call?" Rossi asks.

"Claims he doesn't remember." Marty says. "He's been glued to his computer. Maybe he needs new material for a novel."

"We'll work alongside your team if that's all right." Hotch says.

"Whatever you need." Marty says before leading them inside.

"Everybody take a room." Hotch says and they split up.

~ ~ ~

"It looks like Katie stayed in a lot." Spencer says. "She has a schedule of when she was gonna try new recipes."