021. bloodline

"We got the uplinks of the crime scene photos." Jordan says, walking over and sitting across from Emily and Rossi. She puts the laptop on the table, letting everybody see it. "This is Geoff and Nancy Hale. Both their throats were cut."

"Any evidence of abuse?" Derek asks.

"Nothing." Jordan says.

"Slitting someone's throat is quick and efficient." Spencer says.

"That's because the real target was down the hall." Emily says.

"She has a name." Jordan says.

"What?" Emily asks.

"She's not "the target." Her name's Cate. She's 10 years old." Jordan says.

"All right." Emily says.

"AMBER alert in effect?" Rossi asks.

"Since 7 AM this morning." Jordan says.

"With the unsub's head start he could be anywhere within a 400 mile radius." Hotch says. "Make sure they're casting a wide enough net."

"Got it." Jordan says.

"Who discovered the bodies?" Derek asks.

"Jim Scheuren, Cate's biological father. He was supposed to take her for the weekend." Jordan says. "The police don't consider him a suspect."

"We'll want to talk to him anyway." Hotch says.

"We're also going to need a list of registered sex offenders in a 20 mile radius." Emily says.

"What's the makeup of the Hales' neighborhood?" Spencer asks.

"Mostly white and middle class." Jordan says.

"We'll need aerial views of the neighborhood. If Madison County doesn't have them, talk to Garcia." Bedelia says and Jordan nods.

"Dave, you and Morgan go to the crime scene. The rest of us will get up to speed at the precinct." Hotch says.

+++

"The Hales' neighborhood is a series of rural roads and one block streets." Spencer says.

"How far to a main thoroughfare?" Hotch asks.

"A little over 3 miles." Spencer says.

"So he didn't come upon Cate by accident." Hotch says. "Sheriff Bates." He calls.

"Yes." The sheriff walks over.

"Is Cate's father here yet?" Hotch asks.

"He's on his way." Bates says.

"Let me know the second he gets here."

"I told you, we already checked out his alibi. He's not good for this."

"I know, but he might know who is." Hotch says. Bates nods and walks off. Hotch focuses on the board while Spencer continues to study the aerial view of the Hales' neighborhood.

+++

The unsubs -- who are apparently a family -- let Cate go, leaving her on the side of the road. Emily talked to her at the hospital.

"Is it a match?" Bates asks Derek who is holding a handful of colorful glass shards. Derek nods.

"Which means the RV park owner was right." He says. "They spread it on purpose."

"So everything they do is part of some ritual." Rossi says.

"Have you ever seen anything like this before?" Bates asks.