42 when you go away i still see you

Start from the beginning

"but it's heartwarming to see you surrounded by friends who care about you. it's like you've built your own little family at that university of yours."

(name) chuckled, the embarrassment subsiding. "yeah, they are like a family away from home. and while i appreciate their concern, marriage is definitely not on the agenda anytime soon."

her grandmother laughed. "well, you have time, my dear. enjoy your youth and the friendships you're making. and if, by some chance, one of these young men steals your heart, who am i to complain?"

they shared a moment of laughter, the peel of oranges and the rustle of hospital sheets blending into a comforting symphony

however, in a moment that shifted the tone, her grandmother's expression changed, the lines of her face growing serious. concerned, (name) stopped her peeling and looked at her grandmother.

"grandma, what's wrong?" she asked, a trace of worry in her voice.

"(name), my dear," she began, her tone taking on an unusual solemnity. "(name), i want you to know that no matter what happens, you are strong. you are capable of more than you realize."

(name) tried to brush off the seriousness. "grandma, you're going to be fine. you'll be out of here soon."

but her grandmother's eyes held a depth of emotion that hinted at something more. she gently reached for (name)'s hand, her grasp feeble yet determined.

"(name), i love you. always remember that."

before the girl could respond, the hospital monitor suddenly erupted into a frantic symphony of beeps, disrupting the stillness of the room.

panic set in as medical professionals rushed in, but (name) clung to the belief that her grandmother's words were not a farewell but an affirmation of enduring love.

the room, once filled with laughter and the scent of oranges, was now permeated with an eerie silence as the medical team worked tirelessly to stabilize the situation.

each beep from the monitor echoed like a heavy heartbeat, a stark contrast to the warmth and playfulness that had defined their earlier moments together.

a familiar auburn boy, frantic and breathless, had rushed to the hospital as soon as he heard the news about (name)'s grandmother.

the corridor echoed his hurried footsteps, the sterile white walls amplifying his anxiety.

as he approached her grandmother's room, the subdued sounds of sobbing reached his ears, intensifying the heaviness in his chest.

pushing the door gently, heizou found (name) huddled on a chair, her shoulders shaking with unrestrained sobs. "(name)." he called out softly, rushing to her side.

she looked up, her eyes red and swollen. heizou didn't say anything; he simply enveloped her in a comforting embrace. she clung to him, her sobs echoing in the empty corridor.

through her tears, (name) managed to speak, her voice shaky. "w-we were just talking, heizou. i was peeling oranges for her, and then, in an instant, she was just gone. it happened so fast."

he tightened his embrace, his voice a soothing murmur. "i'm so sorry, (name). i'm here for you."

unbeknownst to them, kazuha stood in the distance, having arrived at the hospital as well. his heart sank at the sight of (name) in heizou's arms, finding solace in someone else.

he hesitated, wanting to approach but held back, realizing that the moment was too delicate.

heizou continued to offer words of comfort. "it's okay to grieve. losing someone is never easy, especially when it happens so suddenly."

she nodded, her tears staining heizou's shoulder. amid her grief, she was unaware of the silent observer standing in the shadows.

kazuha watched from a distance, his heart heavy with a mixture of emotions. he wanted to be there for (name), to offer his comfort, but the scene before him held an intimacy that made him hesitate.

he leaned against the wall, unseen, his gaze filled with a pained longing.

as heizou continued to console (name), the hospital corridor seemed to stretch into an eternity of grief, and kazuha grappled with the ache of being just out of reach.

END OF CHAPTER 42!

⟶ chapter written; january 16 2024

chapter written; january 16 2024

note. omg first angst of
(name) after 41 chapters???