CHAPTER 3 ⤑SKIN

Start from the beginning

She finally got a good look at the man. His brown hair was messy flopping to the side, and his face held a boyish look, a familiar look. "Dean" she mumbles.

"As much as I enjoy this" his lips rise in a small smirk, his eyes flickering to her, "mind getting the hell off me" he raises a brow no glint of fear in his eyes. Only pure arrogance and a bit of amusement.

"Give me one good reason I should" she mutters, distrust leaking from her voice.

He scoffs like the mere thought of her not trusting him was baffling.

"Don't I look trustworthy?" his eyes gleamed with curiosity, his voice teasing.

She narrows her eyes unamusingly; she feels his arm start to move a light movement as if trying to grab something, she presses the dagger deeper, nicking his skin. He grits his teeth in pain. For a second, it's silent, only their quiet breathing and the small sound of water dripping filling the atmosphere.

She furrows her brows in mock "trying to go somewhere" her voice was taunting dripping with arrogance of her own.

His smile simply widens "If you're going to kill me" his words were barely above a whisper, he leans a tad closer, the knife drawing a small pinch of blood but he seems utterly uneffected. "You should be quick with it. My patience is really running out". They were mere inches away, Eva could feel his warm breath tickle her cheek and see small specks of gold that littered his brown eyes. She deepened her glare.

"Your patience" Her voice was thick with amusement "I think you're forgetting who's holding the knife".

"If you wanted to kill me, you would have done it already". She wanted to roll her eyes at his words simply because they were true. Evangeline wouldn't kill him. Not when he hadn't actively tried to harm her. The gun mere inches from him made her uncomfortable, but this was the same boy who had given her his coat, who had yelled at the cruel men when they tried to kill her. She by no means trusted him, but she could tell he wasn't the type to immediately kill her because of a cruel heart. And she certainly wasn't the type to kill an innocent man.

"Make a single move" she spoke quietly, making sure he heard every word "and I won't hesitate".

She slowly leaned off him, keeping her knife close and her eyes glued to him, and she stood.

Dean sits up, tilting his head before picking up his flashlight and gun. "Evelyn or something right".

"Evangeline" she corrected, putting her knife back in her holder around her waist. Her eyes never left him, watching cautiously for any sign that the man would attack.

A flash of recognition erupts in his eyes. "Right the crazy chick with the knife" his eyes widened "wow you weren't actually going to kill me right" his deep voice rumbled.

Eva shrugs, she wouldn't have, but she liked the tinge of worry in his eye.

"That's not concerning," he mutters.

"What are you doing here?" She raises a brow.

He shrugs "sewer cleaning you" The smirk never left his face. Eva wanted to roll her eyes.

She raises a brow instead, "with a gun" she questions her eyes, falling to the weapon in his hand.

"For safety" he shrugs a lie Eva easily detects but decides not to dwell on. "Do you know the way out?" She questions, not particularly caring. Whatever he was doing down here wasn't her business.

Dean's eyes grow bigger as if he just released something.

"I'll walk you. We really should get out of here though" his tone changed ever so slightly to that of worry.