088. the good earth

Start from the beginning

"All married with young families." JJ says.

"Another difference -- the first three victims were all born and raised in La Grande. Terry Rodgers only moved to town a couple of months ago." Rossi says.

"Do you know where from, Garcia?" Spencer asks.

"Rhode Island. Though there's a 5 month gap between Terry being in Rhode Island and then arriving in Oregon. Where he was and what he was doing is a big, fat blank." Penelope says.

"It says here that vomit was found in the vicinity of his abduction." Derek says.

"Mm. Thank you for reminding me of that disgusting detail, Dreamy D." Penelope remarks. "Yes, that vomit has been collected and is being analyzed as we speak, and I'm very grateful that I have this job and someone has that one that's not me."

"Rodgers is the obvious anomaly of the four, but there's no apparent overlap between any of the victims." Spencer says.

"Almost like the unsub was selecting his targets at random." Blake says.

"Blake, you and Morgan go talk to the families of the victims. See if there's something that links them that's not on paper. Dave and I will go to the abduction site. Reid, you, Davis, and JJ go to Terry Rodgers' cabin. He's the one we know least about. Maybe he made himself obscure for a reason."

+++

"You know, aside from the outhouse, this cabin isn't so primitive." Spencer says.

"Okay." JJ says, looking through the pile of books. "Economics, philosophy, political theory. It isn't exactly breezy, take to the beach reading."

"I would, but I don't really like the beach." Spencer says.

"Why is that?" JJ asks.

"Sandy food, pink skin, limited and unengaging topography, but mostly the drug resistant bacteria spread by seagull feces." Spencer says.

"Sorry I asked." JJ says.

"Guess I know where I'm never going again." Bedelia mumbles.

"You know, there's a lot of material here about global warning, overcrowding. The evils of technology, there's no phone, no TV. I wonder what this guy does for fun." JJ says.

"I think maybe I just found the answer." Spencer says, holding up a bag of weed.

+++

"So, did you learn anything?" Rossi asks the three.

"Yeah. Spence here does not like the beach." JJ says.

"I don't." Spencer confirms. "Terry Rodgers definitely wanted to live off the grid. A small generator for minimal electrical needs. No phone, no TV, no radio."

"And lots of material about the evils of technology, living healthy off the land, that sort of thing." JJ says.

"Sounds like the Unabomber." Rossi says.

"We did find a small stash of marijuana hidden away." Bedelia says.

"Did you find any evidence that a baby lived there or visited there?" Hotch asks.

"Uh, no, why?" JJ asks.

"I just got the list of things that he bought at the supermarket." Hotch says, giving JJ the list.

"Four jars of baby food." JJ says.

"A body matching Rodgers' description was found in a river 10 miles out of town." The sheriff informs.

+++

"I'm still waiting on the full M.E. report on Terry Rodgers. They say they want to retest some of the finding." The sheriff says.