Chapter 4

I hate idiots. Especially when the idiot in question is an adult I also have a great distain for cowards. I had been in the middle of my final class of the day, my classes had been surprisingly competent today that or I had been more lenient I'm not particularly sure, all I know is that the owl I got from the headmaster had ruined my good mood.  I glared at it.

§ Severus,

I wanted to tell you that Remus lupin has just given me his letter of resignation. He informed me that he will be leaving by the end of the week. All the teachers will be informed tomorrow at breakfast.

I know you don't carry much affection for Harry but if you could inform him before his friends hear it I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you, Albus §

My mood had dropped the moment I finished reading. My students must have seen it to because the idle chatter died and even the owl left without a treat. The old man was a menace, honestly. He could meddle in every affair in the school but not deliver a simple message on his own. And why was he asking me to tell Harry anyway? Why did I have to do it? Wouldn't it be better if his friends gave him the news anyway? I was not known for my delicate words or compassionate nature, of that I was certain. So what was he trying to do?

Harry's face came to mind, the tears when he realized he could live where he wanted with who he wanted. Even if it was serious black and he had only known him for a number of hours Harry was so happy to be given the opportunity to be a family with him.  Harry had practically been a stellar student in lupins class, for Harry's standards anyway, Harry liked the man and even if I have my own grudge against him it's obvious that he wants to be a part of Harry's life. His quiet conversations and extra classes showed more than a teacher's wish to help their student. He was a coward. He always had been, he probably always will. I will never forgive him for turning a blind eye to wrong doing. But even I can recognize that James and serious made him braver, more willing to try. They gave him the push he always seemed to need. But so many years without someone to nudge him in the right direction has led to him running away like when he was younger.

I sigh rubbing my temples my class was dew to end any moment and I wasn't able to focus at all. Damn the old meddling mad man, he knew this would mess with me why else send that note. I hope he chokes on a lemon drop. The bell rings cutting off my mental plotting and my class clean up and run avoiding even looking in my direction, smart kids. I suppose the second year's had some brains after all.

I go through my routine as I think over how I want to tell Harry his favorite teacher is leaving, most likely because of him. That's when an idea hits I won't tell him, at least, not alone. I smile.

Choosing to cleanup faster I cast the regular spells watching with satisfaction as the chairs place themselves on the desktops and the floors scrub away the dust and dirt walked in from the day. The cabinets closed and locked I stride out locking the door with the key and adding a ward along with an detection spell. Better safe than sorry, to many explosive, venomous, and poisonous things in there to not take precautions.

I prowl through the hallways of the castle. Taking no small amount of amusement from the quiet squeaks I get everytime I turn a corner. After an annoying amount of stairs I find myself at the defensive against the dark arts classroom. The doors open so I don't bother knocking striding in and locating lupin just stepping out of his office door.

"Lupin" he jumps as I call up to him. turning to face me with caution in his eyes even with a smile on his face. "Snape, what can I do for you?" He descends the short flight of steps from his office and gathers his cloke and some papers "You are needed in the medical wing" he paused looking concerned "Is anything the matter?" I ponder my answer "nothing life-threatening but it's best if addressed promptly" he looks puzzled but nodes. I spin on my heel and head towards the medical wing his footsteps fallow it's a brisk quiet walk. I can practically feel the questions forming like a dark cloud behind me, once we reach the medical wing i head straight for harrys bed but the footsteps behind me stop half way their. Damn, so close.