——

The three of us climb down the hill, over the giant rocks. "Come on." Johanna says to us as Katniss hands her the coil from behind, me at the back of the group. "I wanna put as much distance between me and this beach as possible." She pauses before adding "Frying is not the way I wanna go."

"Seconded." I raise my hand and she smirks.

I turn to see Katniss pulling at the coil and facing up the way we came. "There's something.." she starts but drifts off. After a moment she pulls again and the wire snaps back at us.

Someone must have cut the wire.

She throws the coil to the side and I look up to see Brutus and Enobaria running towards us.

It's now or never.

Katniss begins to take out her bow but I grab the coil and smack her over the head with it, causing her to collapse onto the ground beside me.

She screams as I cut into her arm and dig out the tracker with Johanna behind me, aiming to throw an axe at Brutus and Enobaria.

I scoop up some of the blood and smother it all over her neck, shushing her. "Stay. down." I whisper aggressively to her and Johanna throws her axe at them, narrowly missing.

I immediately get up and run, climbing up the side of the ditch with Johanna following closely behind. I turn to my right and see Brutus and Enobaria still following so I pick up the pace and drag Johanna.

"AIMEE! JOHANNA WHERE ARE YOU?!" I hear Finnick's faint scream but I'm too close to Brutus and Enobaria to turn back.

I glance behind me to see Johanna struggling to keep up. We can't run forever. Whilst I'm running I grab two of the knives out of my belt and pass one to Johanna, both of us slowing to a stop.

I hold my knife in my right hand, seen to Enobaria as she sprints to me and uses all her weight to push me up against the tree, blade at my throat with her right hand. Her holding back my right hand with her left.

She stabs me in my side and I groan inwardly, still clutching the knife as she returns the blade to my neck.

"Could you kill me?" I breathe out, voice weak. Looking at the woman who's known me since I was a child. She hesitates, and in one swift move I break free from her grip and slam the handle of my knife against her head.

Not enough to do permanent damage, but enough to knock her out.

She collapses to the ground I hear Brutus groan. I turn to see Johanna standing over Brutus, knife in hand with a sorry look on her face.

I nod in understanding and pause before deciding walk over to them. I look to see him with a puncture wound in is chest, slowly bleeding out.

He gasps as he looks up at me, having great difficulty breathing. 

"I- I'm s- sorry." He lets out as I sit down next to him and place a light kiss on his forehead.

"It's okay." I whisper, barely able to hear my own voice. "You can rest now." A single tear falls down my face and his eyes roll back. The cannon goes off.

I place my fingers over his eyelids and lightly shut his eyes, grabbing Johanna by the arm and she places her hand on my stomach. Trying to prevent the bleeding from getting any worse.

After a moment Peeta bursts out of the trees screaming out for Katniss, running around frantically.

"PEETA!" I yell as my knees buckle and I fall forward to the ground, landing on my hands and he looks at me, his eyes erratic.

"The cannon! Was that Katniss? Tell me it wasn't. It can't have been." He screams out and I grimace at the shouting, trying to rid myself of the pounding headache I feel coming on.

"She's okay. It was Brutus." His eyes flash with relief and he sighs, calming down finally. He only now just notices his body laying beside us.

"Where's my dad and Finnick?" I ask him as I look around, expecting to see my father with him. Grasping onto my side.

"They went looking for you?" He looks confused as the sky rumbles and we all look up.

It's almost midnight.

I see a lightning strike hit the tree and the whole arena shakes, a hole made in the top of the arena.

What has she done?

"Aimee- you're bleeding!" He yells out and crouches down to help me.

"No shit." I groan as I lay down on the ground, unable to keep myself up. He pushes his hand into the wound, trying to stop the bleeding, "I think I'm gonna go to sleep now." I mumble weakly as my hand falls to my side and Johanna desperately shakes my shoulders.

"No! NO!" I hear Peeta yell, but he sounds distant, as if underwater. I see Johanna's mouth moving as she tries to shake me awake but I can't make out what she's saying.

My eyes flicker shut.

——