"Chal chalte hai papa ke paas, I just need to wash my face and grab a bite," he explained.

"Malti tai ne breakfast banaya hai, aap abhi kha lo. Visitation hours start at 9," Rishabh explained, though it would take about an hour for them to get from their house to the hospital in the morning rush hour.

The two brothers didn't talk much as they headed to see their father. Ritwik asked a few questions about the company, trying to understand if there was a crisis or something that could have contributed to Vijaypath's stroke. However, the doctor seemed to believe stress wasn't the primary factor. Vijaypath had a condition he had hidden from them for almost a year. The day he returned from the hospital and met Arohi and Mishti at his house was the day the doctor advised him to avoid most of the things he loved to eat and consumed daily. He wasn't willing to live his life as if he were already dead, fully aware of the potential consequences. While he could have had a heart attack, he never expected to suffer a stroke.

Although it eased Ritwik's conscience, he realized that working so hard again wasn't conducive to Vijaypath's health. His thoughts turned back to Mishti with even more resentment than before.

"Main chalunga aapke saath par jyada der nahi rukunga. Ab aap aa gaye ho na toh main apna pending kaam complete kar lunga," Rishabh offered, wanting to prepare his father to see Ritwik again. He wasn't supposed to deal with great emotions and he knew his father would be emotional by seeing Ritwik after so many months.

"Main wapis company main apni position sambhalunga jitni jaldi ho sake, tu apni padai par dhayan de," Ritwik explained.

"Ricky bhai mera college khatam ho chuka hai, last year mera senior year tha, main aaj kal papa ke saath company main kaam kar raha hoon," Rishabh explained and Ritwik felt like he had been stabbed. He didn't realize he had missed his only brother's college graduation because he was somewhere else feeling sorry for himself.

"I'm sorry I missed it, Rishu," he said with deep sorrow but Rishabh offered one of his broad and sincere smiles, "You needed a break, Ritwik bhai. I'm happy you're finally here and I hope you feel better now than when you left," he offered and Ritwik only nodded. That was a subject he would avoid at least for now. Talking about his pain and the time he spent away was the last thing on his mind now. It was all that consumed his days but his father could be dying soon and everything else faded into the background of his mind.

Rishabh had been inside for twenty minutes at most when he called Ritwik to join him. The three Noon had a brief moment of silent tears before Ritwik reached for his father in the inclined stretcher and hugged him carefully so as not to squeeze him too tight.

"I'll come back by lunchtime," Rishabh announced before leaving the room.

"I'm sorry Papa, I wasn't here for you," Ritwik said avoiding looking at his father while he sat in the nearby chair.

"There was nothing you could have done, Ricky," Vijaypath's voice was uncharacteristically weak and soft and the younger man had a hard time dealing with it. Vijaypath was a strong man, the strongest man Ritwik had known, and seeing him look so vulnerable and small was heartbreaking.

"You could have died thinking I hated you," he finally looked at his father who held a paternal expression on his face while he moved his tired hand to Ritwik's.

"I knew you didn't hate me, Ricky, but if you didn't forgive me for what happened, it's understandable. I would never judge you," he offered but Ritwik shook his head.

"But I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt," the usual light of his eyes gave place to a deep and dark brown that reflected the sorrow and sadness he felt.