Chapter 6 - Rescuing the Damsel from the Wolves

ابدأ من البداية

She was ranting from what Elvis told her. I had no idea what he said, but... "Did he tell you that he fell for another woman because she sees him for him and not because he's famous? It seems like that from what you're saying."

She shook her head again. "I can't say. I just... I want him to be mine!"

There was a reason why she hollered that twice, and I could admit that I wasn't thrilled with hearing it. How irritating it was that Elvis entranced me, especially after seeing those enchanting blue eyes up close and in the morning sunlight.

"He is yours, Cilla. You know what? If he has feelings for another woman, he's out of his mind. If I was a man, I would be completely smitten with you. Gosh, how can the guys here not lose their minds with you around?"

"They see me as their sister or something like that." She looked over at me, her green eyes teary, and that made my heart drop. "I'm so sorry for ranting like this. I'm just so worried. Elvis told me some ludicrous things. Things that are from fairytales. In fact, what he told me sounds like a fairytale I've heard before. It's unreal! And he was serious!"

I was completely lost here. "I think just go with the flow. If he was serious, then it must be true, whatever he told you. Be his loving girlfriend no matter what."

She gulped hard as she stared at me, taking that in. After a few seconds, she nodded. "Okay. I'll try. It's just... You know? Never mind. Are you hungry?"

"It's only 8:30. Did you not have breakfast?"

"I did, I just... I need to get my mind off of what Elvis told me and the person he told me about that I saw him talking to."

"Who was he talking to? Another woman?"

"Yes, and..." She shook her head. "Never mind again. Please, take a break and come with me into the house and join me for a snack. Please."

I saw the desperation in her eyes. "I... well..."

"Elvis isn't in there, if that's what's bothering you. He went walking over to that blasted shed. C'mon, let's go inside."

She got up and left in a couple of seconds. I followed suit and wondered about the shed. That was where the thorn bush was, right? She said "blasted" in front of "shed" so maybe it had something to do with what she was frantic about. I was curious now.

After I joined Cilla in the kitchen and had a nice conversation with Gertrude, I told Cilla to go and occupy herself while I get back to work. It was already 9:30. I wasted too much time. Hopefully that was okay. The last time I took a long break like that, I was fired. My employer didn't care that it was because I was hiding after being ridiculed harshly by both a coworker and a customer.

Dad was over near the hydrangeas again, still working on spreading the soil. I about went over to join him, but then I looked over at the shed. I went closer cautiously and saw that Elvis wasn't there. He probably went back into the house. I came around it and saw that thorn bush that I wasn't successful in naming because of that flower that looked like it was just placed there.

"So odd..." I muttered as I looked at it and saw that it was indeed connected to the plant. "I know of no plant like this. It's like someone fused two plants together."

I lifted my hand to touch the flower, but a loud "Hey!" stopped me. My heart jumped and then started pounding in alarm when I saw that it was Elvis who did the shouting. Oh no. He didn't want me or anyone near this plant for some reason.

Wait... could it have to do with what he told Cilla?

"You didn't touch that, did ya?" Elvis demanded, hands on his hips and his blue eyes ignited with fire. I was in trouble. Not that I wasn't used to my employer being upset with me for one reason or another, through no fault of mine most of the time.