part nine: coffee talk

Start from the beginning

"that's really nice of you, you didnt have to". adrienne added.

"oh it's really okay, i mean it was only a couple of blocks." replied gracie.

adrienne had to admit, gracie looked really good. like really really good. i mean she always did, but it's like she got ready to go out even prettier than usual. especially if that going out is just to catch up with a friend. as she was thinking this in her head, she started to space out and gracie started looking at her funny. 

"you with me?" gracie said. to which adrienne replied "yeah right yes! yes i am here sorry!" as she giggled a bit. they both did. 

as planned, they started walking to adrienne's favourite place to get coffee, Stumptown Coffee Roasters.

once they arrived, they got in line to get coffee, had little chats with each other while ordering, while paying, and then they walked over to a booth by the window to spend their afternoon

once they arrived, they got in line to get coffee, had little chats with each other while ordering, while paying, and then they walked over to a booth by the window to spend their afternoon. while they sat down, both adrienne and gracie took off their jackets. underneath, gracie was wearing a loose collared shirt that was open, showing a cropped ribbed tanktop under. she wore that over a pair of black pants and of course, her blue converse.

"so how's eveyrthing been since..well you know- 

"the night." adrienne said cutting off gracie, finishing her sentence.

"right, the night." gracie responded.

"honestly i'm not sure. i mean, i broke up with her if that's what you're asking. in a way that was..." there was a pause since adrienne was trying to find the right words, but then they came out. "in a way that was needed. i stormed to her apartment late at night and knocked on her door and just asked her questions, screaming a bit too. i just needed her to answer one question though, and that was why?, why did she do this to me? like gracie, i was nothing but nice to her you know. i mean, that's what's been eating at me. the why?." as she finished speaking she realized that that was a lot. "fuck i'm sorry gray i just spewed everything out to you, i have a tendency of doing that."

gracie was reminded of that nickname that adrienne gave her. "gray". nobody else called her that, and a part of her missed hearing it. her face brightened once it came out, and then she responded,"hey no, don't apologize. if anything it's comforting knowing that you're able to just talk to me and feel comfortable doing that with me. like ok, how about instead of wracking your brain over an impossible question that can't be answered, think about how, at least the worst is over. liv didn't treat you right adri, i mean that's clear. and that being said, you clearly weren't the problem. so maybe there is no why?. maybe it's just in your head. and now it's done, it's over. so there's nothing to worry about. you aren't the problem. i told you that that night at the club, and i'm telling you here again." responded gracie with genuine care. 

"gracie wow. gray omg. you really are the best ever. always saying the right things huh"

the "gray" came up again. and gracie knew that she'd be hearing it a lot more now. "i do say the right things all time. hmm guess i never noticed." gracie responded with sarcasm and a smile on her face. adrienne lifted the cup of coffee to her lips, and then gracie did the same.

"so how about you? i feel like everytime we talk it's about me."

"that's not true, it's just because you've had a shitty week." replied gracie. "but yeah i mean things have been going okay. i released good riddance and like-everything just made sense you know? making it was different than this is what it feels like, it was like fully me. so releasing that and seeing people love it-it's just so fulfilling."

"god that's so beautiful. it's funny because i was just listening to good riddance on my way here!" a smile lifted on gracie's face as adirenne said that. a pouty smile. like a cute thank you, that's beautiful, kind of smile. "gray i really hope you know that that album is seriously like one of the best things i've ever listened to. it's really really amazing. i'm proud of you." said adri wholeheartedly. adrienne loved gracie's music. and she had to admit, every time she listened to it, she missed gracie. they had drifted once olivia came into the picture and gracie had to record her album. 

"aww adri!! thank you for listening".

"yeah it's really been helping me these past days ever since the break up. you really do know how to make a break up album." replied adrienne.

"yeah i mean that's one of the reasons i wrote it. to help people going through it like me. i guess i really do have a knack for it." responded gracie with a giggle. there was a slight pause after gracie responded. it wasn't an awkward pause it was just there. then adrienne spoke. 

"i'm sorry we drifted gray. i didn't mean for it i just-

gracie cut her off, "hey no it's okay. we're here now. that's what matters." to that, adrienne smiled. 

they spent some more time at the cafe catching up. they bonded. gracie told her about her break up and some more about her family, about music too. adrienne did the same. the two both loved music so intensely. 

once they got tired, they walked back to the subway, and took the same cart. gracie insisted she take her back home. as they sat on the orange seats as the metal cart swayed here and there, they listened to the same music. adrienne had given her one ear to her headphones. now they were close. and they sat there silently listening to bon iver's "for emma". 

the two shared glances here and there. and adrienne felt so happy, her heart felt warm and she actually felt like she was beaming with joy. gracie noticed that and nudged her shoulder asking her, 

"what are you so happy about?"

"this. you. i missed this." adrienne responded.

"me too" said gracie. 

✧༺♥༻∞༺♥༻✧

🚨 AUTHOR'S NOTE: holy shit i've been gone for a while but i'm back now and am gonna continue writing!! i hope you guys really like this one because i really liked writing it! let me know if you liked it!!! also thank you for reading like ughh it's the nicest thing seeing your guys's comments! ♥️ 🚨