11. Madeline - Dinner, Christmas Eve 1968

Start from the beginning

"Oh, thank you Madeline."

She moved in, trying to hug me. No way was I going to let that happen. I took a step back. "Don't touch me Edith! I forgive you, but I don't trust you. We're not friends. Not yet, anyway."

"I suppose that's fair. How about we start again. I'm willing to try if you are." She held out her hand. "Hi, I'm your cousin Edith, welcome to the family, Madeline."

She sounded genuine, so I shook her hand. "Thank you, Edith."

We smiled at one another as the Sturrocks arrived and were ushered into the garden by Uncle Stirling.

"Finally! I'm starved," Edith confessed in a whisper.

Simon's description of the Sturrocks was spot on: Mr Lindsay Sturrock beamed and complimented all and sundry, with a well practiced smile, while Phyllis Sturrock, (the pot plant) sat like a fragrant ornament, contributing nothing to the conversation.

In contrast to her mother, Elizabeth Sturrock was downright loquacious. She seemed to enjoy the sound of her own voice. She was at pains to prove to everyone present that she was acquainted with the most prominent people, from the highest echelons of society.

"...And Lady Fairfax, you know, the wife of Sir Warwick Oswald Fairfax, the owner of the Fairfax media empire...she turns to me and she says...she says, 'Lizzy, with your enquiring mind, you'd make an excellent journalist!'"

I glanced at Simon, who was seated across the table from me. He was trying not to laugh... At least it meant that he didn't need to talk. Personally, I was embarrassed for Elizabeth, particularly when Bex put an end to her grandstanding.

"How odd that you're so well acquainted with my friend, Mary, and yet she's never mentioned you," Bex remarked.

"Mary? Mary who?" Elizabeth in her arrogance, failed to understand.

"Why, Lady Mary Fairfax of course... Then again, Mary meets so many people, she can't possibly remember them all...

"Would you pass the water jug, Elizabeth, dear? I'm afraid all this talking has left me rather parched..."

Simon erupted in laughter, prompting me to give him a playful kick under the table. His amusement only grew, and he attempted to mask it with a cough.

Aunt Bex turned our way, a twinkle of amusement in her eyes. "Don't gulp your food like that, Simon, you'll choke," she teased, raising a napkin to her lips with a barely concealed smile.

Aunt Odette announced that dessert would be served by the pool. As we made our way across the lawn, Jason Sturrock offered me his arm. I didn't want to be rude, so I accepted his courtesy, placing my hand in the crook of his elbow. He immediately placed his other hand over mine. The possessive gesture made me feel uncomfortable. I hadn't wanted to be this close to him, but I wasn't sure how to escape.

To be blunt, Jason Sturrock stunk. He wore too much cologne, but it didn't successfully mask his body odour. I found myself wondering when he'd last washed. His breath wasn't much better. Nothing we'd eaten smelt like that! It was like rotting fruit. The chaotic combination of smells made me want to gag.

"You and Simon seem close," he said.

"Mmm," I replied, while continuing to hold my breath.

"So, are you...kissing cousins?"

"What? No!" I was mortified. I tried to remove my hand from his, but he squeezed it tightly.

"Don't be embarrassed. I've done quite a bit of experimenting myself..." He looked at me and licked his lips. "You're a very pretty girl, Madeline, with curves in all the right places. Your aunt, and cousin are rather...willowy, so it must be your Piedmont genes. I love Italian girls. Do you have a boyfriend?"