"I don't understand." Penelope says.

"He's got complete control. He's not worried about her contacting the authorities." Hotch says while Spencer walks back over to the board. "Garcia, run the pump receipts against the timeline. Maybe he used a credit card."

"Pumps one... through nine. Nothing. Who goes to a gas station and doesn't buy anything?" Penelope asks.

"There are plenty of service stations between the community center and here, but he drove her clear across town. This place must mean something to the both of them." Spencer says.

"This could be where it all started." Hotch says.

+++

"Anything?" Rossi asks.

"She was there, but we just missed her." Derek says. "The owner of Monica's old house reported seeing her parked outside just 2 hours ago."

"Was the unsub with her?" Rossi asks.

"Yeah, but he didn't get much of a description on the unsub or the truck." JJ says. "He did say Monica had been by a lot recently."

"Apparently somebody dropped a letter for her a week ago. The owner called her to come pick it up, and ever since then she's been parked outside the house." Derek says.

"What's this guy doing with her?" Rossi asks.

"If he's had Hope captive for 7 years, she's completely compliant by now. He might have abducted Monica as a reward for good behavior." Spencer says.

"Or he could be getting off on the fact that he successfully abducted a mother and a daughter." Rossi says.

"Monica's statement the day of Hope's abduction confirmed that she made a purchase at the same gas station hours before Hope went missing." JJ says.

"It's not a coincidence that he brought Monica from that particular gas station to her old house." Rossi says.

"He's taking her through all the steps of Hope's abduction." Hotch says.

"Having both of them could have been his plan all along." Rossi says.

"So are we saying he's sexually diverse, attracted to children and adults?" JJ asks.

"The unsub stalked Monica, so he knew about the spare key under the mat. He had complete access. So why wait 7 years to circle back if that's the case?" Rossi asks.

"The butterfly could symbolically represent not just transformation but maturation of his erotic ideal." Spencer says.

"Well, he started with easy targets. Children are much easier to abduct, manipulate, and control." Rossi says.

"Or he could be a preferential offender and a situational child molester meaning adult women have always been his preference, but given the right circumstances he'd offend against a child." Spencer says.

"Monica's not a preference." Hotch says. "She's a specific target."

"He didn't go after just any woman, he went after Hope's mother." Rossi says.

"Which means that Hope is probably dead and he's taken Monica because she reminds him of Hope." Hotch says.

"This is everything that Manassas P.D> had on Hope's investigation." Penelope says, walking over with a box and two agents follow her, each holding a box.

"All right, let's get to work." Hotch says.

+++

"So, what's the word, genius?" Derek asks.